Tacos and Tortillas
  Re: (...)
Susan, I thought maybe a separate thread on Tacos/Tortillas might get us going down the path of finding lots of good ideas from everyone. AND, Cinco de Mayo is coming up soon!!

While we were on the road for almost a year, we ate a lot of tacos to make use of leftover dishes we tried in each state we visited and that’s how I came upon this book, which is a great one to have on hand. Her ideas are just outstanding.

Simple Corn Tortillas
300 Best Taco Recipes, Kelley Cleary Coffeen

2 cups (8.75oz.) masa harina
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups very warm (almost hot) water

In a large bowl, mix masa harina, salt, b. soda and water. Knead with your hands to form the masa or dough.

Pinch off a golf ball size (1 oz. works for me) piece of masa and roll into a smooth ball. Place balls in an airtight container as you make each one until ready to use for up to 1 hour. Continue with remaining masa to make 16 balls.

To press tortillas, place a piece of wax paper in tortilla press and place masa ball on top. Place another piece on top of masa ball and press to a 6” circle. Continue with remaining masa balls, stacking uncooked tortillas on a platter with wax paper sheets in between each one.

Heat a dry nonstick or cast-iron skilled over medium heat. Remove wax paper and transfer tortillas to skillet, one at a time and cook, turning once, for 45 seconds per side or until bubbling and lightly browned. Transfer tortillas to a towel-lined platter. Wrap in towel to keep warm.

My notes:
These do not stay fresh, need to be used within hours of making them.
Best to work with and tasting that I’ve made.

[Image: July%2017%20corn%20tortilla%20balls_zpsonflnaae.jpg]

[Image: Jan%2028%20Corn%20tortillas%20ready%20to...hs2pbz.jpg]

[Image: Jan%2028%20Corn%20Trotillas%202_zpsbmwjjsrc.jpg]

[Image: Jan%2028%20Flank%20Steak%20Taco%20w%20Fe...ixnz3n.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tacos and Tortillas by cjs (Susan, I thought may...)
Just to temp you with this book –

Bistro Beef Tacos with Blue Cheese & Onion Relish
[Image: Mar%2025%20Bistro%20Beef%20Taco%20w%20Bl...da8si0.jpg]

Hickory Brisket Tex-Mex Tacos with Cabbage Relish
[Image: Jan%2018%20Brisket%20Tacos%20w%20Cabbage...7nrh2d.jpg]

If anyone is interested

[Image: 51owGTbQtOL__SX348_BO1204203200__zpsl7bdbs6q.jpg] THE BOOK
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tacos and Tortillas by cjs (Just to temp you wit...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Susan, you know how I told you about that little old Italian lady inside me? Jean's little old lady is Mexican! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tacos and Tortillas by Gourmet_Mom (Susan, you know how ...)
I'm sure I was a Mexican in a previous life!!

As you, little Italiano.

Yes, on Amazon - that's the link that takes you to the book.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tacos and Tortillas by cjs (I'm sure I was a Mex...)
Cinco de Mayo, yes!!! I am not missing this year no matter what!!!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tacos and Tortillas by Mare749 (Cinco de Mayo, yes!!...)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Tacos and Tortillas by cjs (Susan, I thought may...)
Cinco de Mayo will cap a two week nightmare coming up at work. I plan to celebrate with a self-induced Liquid Lobotomy courtesy of Cabo Wabo.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Tacos and Tortillas by BarbaraS (Cinco de Mayo will c...)
I just ordered the taco book. LOL.
  Re: Re: Tacos and Tortillas by Trixxee (I just ordered the t...)
I have a bag of masa harina to make tacos (also was going to try making tamales someday, too) but the Mexican population is so big here that there are awesome hole-in-the-wall restaurants all over the place. Our favorite makes great corn tortillas to order, so it may be a while before I try my own...Wink
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com