Need Your Input
  Re: (...)
I sent a msg. to Brian a few days ago and rec'd a response this a.m. from Terry. I hope we can give her some input as to what we like/dislike lately.

mine to Brian -
Re: Issue #117
Just wanted to pass along to you and your cohorts - We all are so impressed with this new issue. It is the best one (I'm sorry to say this) in months and months!!!! I think I've dog-eared every other page at least.
If you could pass the word on - we're all having a ball cooking and sharing the recipes!! Thanks to your whole crew!

Hello Jean,
I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words regarding Issue 117.

I’m curious, what you (or others) found so much more appealing about the latest Issue. Or more importantly, what did you find unappealing about some of the previous issues. I’m very interested in hearing your opinion.

Thanks so much and all the best,

Terry J. Strohman
Editorial Media Director | Cuisine at home
Active Interest Media | Creative Home Group
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Need Your Input by cjs (I sent a msg. to Bri...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
I actually find most of the issues are fine and I'm not even sure the latest is any better than any of the rest (personally I haven't made any recipes yet). But this happens with me and a lot of the issues. I may make only one or two things even though many appeal to me. I think it's because I revert back to my C @ H books. I think the various books (and I have like 15) generally contain the best of the best. I think I'm just stuck in that pattern.

Or maybe if I didn't get other recipes from Epicurious, Noble Pig, The Girl Who Ate Everything, Pinterest, etc., I would make more Cuisine magazine dishes and have a more solid opinion on what I like and what I don't like.
  Re: Re: Need Your Input by Trixxee (I actually find most...)
One more idea I'll toss out here - if there is an opinion anyone is not comfortable putting in print before God and everyone, please send me a p.m. and I'll get it to Terry personally.

My biggest problem is my older copies with all my notes are still in storage - dang!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Your Input by cjs (One more idea I'll t...)
I'm just going to post as ideas pop into my mind (before I lose them )

One concern which was addressed a couple years ago was the repetition of recipes in the special publications taken from the magazines. As it was explained to me when I visited C@H (almost 2 years ago now) facility, the publications target group is cooks who are not subscribed to the magazine.

Now, I’m thinking this is a good example of what’s good and what’s not with some of the recipes in the magazines – if they make the special publications; they seem to be of wider interest to cooks and readers. Does this make sense?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need Your Input by cjs (I'm just going to po...)
I'm no marketer extraordinaire, but I would definitely think the book publications have a wider interest and market because the subject matter is more defined. Soups and Stews, Grilling, Chicken, Sandwiches, Holiday Baking, Weeknight Cooking, Cooking For Two, etc.

With the subscription you are getting more of a seasonal variety but in the end there might only be a few recipes that appeal because one might not be interested in any of the baking recipes or any of the pasta recipes or any of the grilling recipes for instance.
  Re: Re: Need Your Input by Trixxee (I'm no marketer extr...)
One thing that comes to mind is the repetition of ideas....not just repetition of actual recipes. For us, we know when we see a recipe that we can substitute a protein or ingredient. But the magazine seems to take that as being a seperate recipe and publish it in another magazine. There just hasn't seemed to be a lot of new ideas. I'll have to go look at some over recent years and see what else I can think of.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Need Your Input by cjs (I sent a msg. to Bri...)
Sorry Jean, I have to disagree. I haven't been happy about C@H for more than three years. Actually, since Meyer left as editor. Repeated recipes, dull recipes, lots of recipes that should be in their theme "special issues" but waste my time, issues, and interest. But that's my opinion.

Temy may like to grill and put out a mostly grilling issue, but an editor needs to understand that their subscription base that may not want to grill her fave recipes because of location, resources, and general interest.

I'm again disappointed with the issue. Repeated recipes with the Maque Choux. Brownies?? Really?? I'm finding more interesting and worthwhile recipes elsewhere.

And when will they ever do a Recipe Index again?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Need Your Input by BarbaraS (Sorry Jean, I have t...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
I'm wondering if some of this is a matter of taste. For instance, after a winter of eating a lot of comfort food, I was ready for the current issue with all the fresh vegetable side dishes and salads.

I love the shrimp, scallops, and crab recipes and can't wait to make the Banh Mi Panzanella and the Hawaiian-style picnic menu that will be fun for entertaining. I don't make a lot of desserts anymore, but the Pina Colada Pie sounds delicious.

Although there are no fun cocktails in this issue, the Negroni Granita with orange zest sounds like a good substitute for the grownups.

For me, the current issue sparkles with creativity that is reminiscent of the older issues. I'm going to save my comments about some of my less favorite issues until I have a chance to go through them again and pinpoint the reason why they were less interesting to me.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."