using an egg raft to clarify stock
  Re: (...)
Okay, has anyone done this? I had never even heard of this method to clarify stock, but I have a feeling that most of you have... Anyway, this has to be one of the very coolest kitchen "tricks" (techiques?) that I have ever done.

I decided to roast a turkey that I have had in the freezer since last November, and then used the carcass to make stock. As usual, it was cloudy but nice and rich so I didn't mind the appearance.

I then found out that a friend was having major dental surgery, so I decided to make turkey soup and take her some. I looked online to see how I could clarify it a bit and...

How cool! I beat egg whites, eggshells, and lemon juice and added it to the cold stock in a large pot. Bring almost to a boil, cover, and step back for 15 minutes. When I took the cover off of the pot, all of the yucky stuff had been captured by the mass of egg white floating on the surface, and the broth underneath was clear. A quick strain thru some cheesecloth and it looked like consomme!

It was so exciting, and I got Jack doing this with me and he was pretty amazed, too. Tell me, now, how many of you have known about this awesome kitchen trick and have been keeping it to yourselves?!?!? Hmmmmmm????
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: using an egg raft to clarify stock by foodfiend (Okay, has anyone don...)
Not me, but thank you for posting this! What a great tip!

This is actually something that I have long wanted to conquer. Can't wait to try it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: using an egg raft to clarify stock by Mare749 (Not me, but thank yo...)
It works for camp coffee, also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: using an egg raft to clarify stock by cjs (It works for camp co...)
I have heard of rafts, but I have never tried it. It's good to know it works so well! Thanks for the info, Vicci!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: using an egg raft to clarify stock by Gourmet_Mom (I have heard of raft...)
Thanks, Vicci! I'm going to have to try that. My stock is always cloudy....
  Re: Re: using an egg raft to clarify stock by karyn (Thanks, Vicci! I'm g...)
We made a consume for our Titanic dinner a few years back. We served 26. Really good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: using an egg raft to clarify stock by Old Bay (We made a consume fo...)
I have heard of this but have never done it. It sounds like a worthwhile step! I am going to have to give this a try!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura