What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016
  Re: (...)
It's hard getting a garden ready for the first time in a 'new' place, so this year probably will be a fairly small amount of goodies.

I did go overboard on tomatoes tho, but we love them, so far just have lettuce, lemon cucumbers, poblanos and need to replace my poor lost jalapeno.

I might get back to canning this summer with all the tomatoes, we'll see.

P.S. I forgot my 2 artichokes!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by cjs (It's hard getting a ...)
I'm very pleased with the progress of our garden. We had a few hiccups with drainage in some new pots, but we solved the problem now, I think.

We have two each jalapeƱos, cayennes and banana peppers; six red bells; two each brandywines, Cherokee purples and cherry tomatoes; four English cucumbers; a pineapple plant; a whole bunch of spring mix and romaine; and oregano, sage, rosemary, parsley, and basil. I think that's it for now.

I'm especially pleased with how well the lettuces and cherry tomatoes are doing!

[Image: image_37.jpg]

[Image: image_38.jpg]

[Image: image_39.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (I'm very pleased wit...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Beautiful pictures, Daphne. I have 2 purple Cherokees also, my favorite heirloom EVER!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by cjs (Beautiful pictures, ...)
I love your outdoor space Daphne! Beautiful!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by luvnit (I love your outdoor ...)
Thanks, you guys. We really enjoy it, especially this time of year. In another month or so, the deck will begin to resemble a jungle and brings us both a tremendous sense of peace and accomplishment.

Susan, due to unseasonal warm temps this spring, we were able to plant the third week of March. This was a record for us. Luckily, the temperatures only dropped two nights, and covering them with sheets worked.

Don't you just love those tomatoes, Jean?!?! Actually, regarding the large variety of tomatoes and the small peppers, we have 4 of each variety.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, you guys. W...)
Daphne, your deck area is absolutely gorgeous! What a beautiful spot to enjoy nature, friends, and family!
  Re: Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by karyn (Daphne, your deck ar...)
Thanks, Karyn! We really do enjoy it. We usually sit out there in the evening before dinner. I try really hard to plan most of our dinners to have very little hands on so it can cook quickly after our early evening or while we are enjoying our deck time.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Karyn! We r...)
No garden for us this year. Will be putting in a cover crop that will prep our beds for the winter veggies because we won't be home from the end of May till July 6th. We're gonna be heading to Europe May will see us down in S. Cal for my nephews graduation from high school then a week later we're off to Paris, Vienna, Prague, Sweden and Iceland (8 hour layover so hitting the town at least).
  Re: Re: What Are We Growing in our Gardens? 2016 by DFen911 (No garden for us thi...)
Denise, that is so exciting! I would be absolutely over-the-moon! Will your daughter be able to join you for some or all of the trip? I sure hope you like to take pics!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."