CREME BRULEE
  Re: (...)
cj, I've only got those creme brulee recipes from [Email]C@H[/Email] a few issues back, I think it's got a gorgeous turkey on the cover. I'd love to see yours. Hope you don't mind to post them under it's own topic, along with lots of tips, do's and don'ts? Kinda like a Creme Broulee Tutorial, I'm really dying to try it
Cynthia
  Re: CREME BRULEE by farnfam (cj, I've only got th...)
We love creme brulee---I have an awesome recipe originally from La Cirque---New York--if anyone interested I will post!! Don't have any pearls of knowledge though---I will leave that to the gurus here--what a great bunch we have!! Cynthia---info please!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: CREME BRULEE by Roxanne 21 (We love creme brulee...)
Why don't we do a thread just of Creme Brulees??? Sounds like a winner to me. I'm willing to try any one that uses vanilla beans - if vanilla is called for - I'll pass. (Sorry, creme brulee is just to good to not use beans...imo only!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CREME BRULEE by cjs (Why don't we do a th...)
Okay cj, you start with Roy Rogers most favorite and don't forget explicit directions for preparation (use small words for my sake). I can harly wait, I'll be standing by with my flame thrower in hand soons I get one
Cynthis
  Re: Re: CREME BRULEE by farnfam (Okay cj, you start w...)
Will do first thing in the a.m. - I have to get packing the trailer now. But...I wanted to come on line and post a warning about the Lasagne dish we're all doing. NO, it's not a bad warning....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CREME BRULEE by cjs (Why don't we do a th...)
This is my family's favorite brulee---guests love it too!!

Le Cirque's Creme Brulee

4 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
Pinch of salt
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup plus 2 TB granulated sugar
8 TB light brown sugar

1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the cream, vanilla bean and salt. Warm over moderate heat until the surface begins to shimmer, about 5 minutes (I find it takes longer than that).
2) In a large bowl, stir the egg yolks and sugar with a wooden spoon until blended. Pour in the hot cream and stir gently to avoid forming air bubbles until the sugar dissolves. Strain the custard into a large measuring cup or pitcher and skim off any surface bubbles. (Rinse the vanilla bean and save for another use).

3) Place eight 3/4 cup ramekins in a roasting pan. Pour the custard into the ramekins, filling them to the rim. Place the roasting pan in the oven and pour in enough warm water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover loosely with foil and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the custard is firm around the edges. (It may still be wobbly at the center; it will firm up as it chills.)
4) Remove the ramekins from the water bath and let cool. Cover and refigerate until cold, at least 3 hours. (The custards can be prepared to this point up to 2 days ahead. If small pools of liquid develop on the surface, blot with a paper towel before proceeding.)
5) Preheat broiler. Set ramekins on a baking sheet. Sieve 1 TB of brown sugar over the top of each custard in a thin layer. Using a metal spatula or sharp knife, spread the sugar evenly. Broil the custards as close to the heat as possible until the sugar is caramelized, 30 seconds to two minutes; watch carefully. Let cool and serve immediately or refrigerate up to four hours.

I use a torch instead of the broiler.

This was taken from the book GREAT DESSERTS (FOOD AND WINE)
Compiled and edited by Mardee Haidin Regan
  Re: CREME BRULEE by farnfam (cj, I've only got th...)
O.K. next -

CRÈME BRÛLÉE

4 c chilled heavy cream
2/3 c granulated sugar
1 Pinch salt
1 vanilla bean -- halved lengthwise
12 lg egg yolks
8 tsp Turbinado or Demerara sugar -- (8 to 12)- you can find this sugar in any large supermarket.

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position & heat oven to 300°.

Combine 2 cups cream, sugar, & salt in med. saucepan; with paring knife, scrape seeds from vanilla bean into pan, submerge pod in cream, & bring mixture just to a boil over med. heat, stirring occasionally to ensure that sugar dissolves. Take pan off heat & let steep 15 min to infuse flavors.

Meanwhile, place kitchen towel in bottom of large baking dish or roasting pan & arrange eight 4- to 5-oz. ramekins (or shallow fluted dishes) on towel.

After cream has steeped, stir in remaining 2 cups cream to cool down mixture. Whisk yolks in large bowl till broken up & combined. Whisk ~1 cup cream mixture into yolks till loosened & combined; repeat w/another 1 cup cream. Add remaining cream & whisk till evenly colored & thoroughly combined. Strain thru fine-mesh strainer into 2-qt. measure cup or pitcher (or clean medium bowl); discard solids in strainer. Pour or ladle mixture into ramekins, dividing it evenly among them.

Carefully place baking dish w/ramekins on oven rack; pour hot water into dish, taking care not to splash water into ramekins, till water reaches 2/3 height of ramekins. Bake till centers of custards are just barely set and are no longer sloshy & temp. probe read 170° to 175° degrees, 30-35 min. (25-30 min. for shallow fluted dishes). Begin checking temp. ~5 min. before recommended time.

Transfer ramekins to wire rack; cool to room temp, ~ 2 hours. Set ramekins on rimmed baking sheet, cover tightly with plastic wrap, & refrigerate till cold, at least 4 hours or up to 4 days.

Uncover ramekins; if condensation has collected on custards, place paper towel on surface to soak up moisture. Sprinkle each with ~ 1 tsp. turbinado sugar (1 1/2 tsp. for shallow fluted dishes); tilt and tap ramekins for even coverage. Ignite torch & caramelize sugar. Refrigerate ramekins, uncovered, to re-chill, 30-45 min. (but no longer or you will lose that wonderful burnt sugar crack); serve.

Serving Ideas : Misc. notes from Cook's Illus. article: Separate the egg and whisk the yolks after the cream has finished steeping; if left to sit, the surface of the yolks will dry & form a film. The best way to judge doneness is w/a digital instant-read thermometer, but if baked in shallow fluted dishes, they will not be deep enuf for accurate reading.
NOTES : This recipe easily halves to make 4 brûlées.
Serves 8

a Chef's Journey, via Cook's Illustrated, 12/01

this is such a wonderful dessert to serve and enjoy!! Three mint leaves and a gorgeous raspberry for garnish - yum!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CREME BRULEE by cjs (O.K. next - [br][br]...)
Roxanne, cj, these sound wonderful. I can't wait to try, maybe this can be dessert for our dinner #4 which we're planning for Sat (and we'll have been to Home Depot by then)
A million thank you's
Anyone else have a recipe to share? Please jump right in
  Re: Re: CREME BRULEE by farnfam (Roxanne, cj, these s...)
Here's another one, similar to Jean's.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creme Brulee, Vanilla Bean

Recipe By :Jon Gatewood
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts-Ices

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
9 egg yolks
3 eggs
6 ounces sugar
1 quart cream
1 pinch salt
1 vanilla beans -- split

In a sauce pot bring cream, bean, and salt to a simmer.

Mix eggs with sugar.

Slowly incorporate cream into eggs, let steep 5 minutes then remove bean.

Pour into bowls and bake at 325 with a water bath 20 minutes or until done.

Should be barely set.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: CREME BRULEE by cjs (O.K. next - [br][br]...)
I've done this one for a change and an experiment--the FOOD AND WINE one is better--IMHO!!

Also I do halve the vanilla pod--remove the seeds and carry on---REALLY AWESOME!! The leftover pod--into a sugar bowl for vanilla sugar!!