Memorial Day Plans May 30, 2016 ?
  Re: (...)
Memorial Day means summer and my birthday.... (I'll share it with PJ and Maryann, too!!)

My annual birthday menu is grilled T-Bone, fruit platter drizzled with some kind of goodie and shredded Parm, and garlic bread. Same every year!

What is everyone up to for the holiday??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Memorial Day Plans May 30, 2016 ? by cjs (Memorial Day means s...)
I think we'll do picnic food. Hope the weather is accommodating. Chili dogs, coleslaw, macaroni salad, and a three bean salad sounds good to me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by Gourmet_Mom (I think we'll do pic...)
Not sure yet. Heather asked me if we could do a combined birthday, mine and Alyssa's, as they will be leaving on vacation later that week. So, I don't know if that means they want us to come out to their campground or if it will be at home. The last few years it has been rather fun going out to their camp and visiting the wineries.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by Mare749 (Not sure yet. Heathe...)
Okay, the holiday is getting closer and I came here for ideas!!

I've been involved in a fundraiser for a local historical site and it's on Friday (live auction, silent auction, lots of food...). You all probably won't believe this, but I'm co-chairing the dessert committee! I've made about 40 dozen cookies for it, another woman is making the same amount, a local chef is donating 2 "fancy" desserts, and another woman is making 12 dozen brownies. And a couple of purchased cakes, too. I don't think we'll run out of desserts (they estimate about 350 attending)!
Saturday and Sunday we will haul all of the furniture off of the back screened-in porch and clean it off (horrible pollen this spring, and it's laying in layers over everything!), then clean the porch. Hopefully Monday will be mostly a "rest and relax" day, but I do have to make appetizers and a couple of pitchers of mojitos for a party at the pool that afternoon.

Sooo, does anyone have ideas for an app? I wanted something easy, but more special than guacamole and chips, dips, etc... All ideas will be appreciated! My head is so spinning with cookies that I can hardly think of anything else.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by foodfiend (Okay, the holiday is...)
Well now, I just happened to make this one yesterday to take to a friend's for a small get together (I made a mini one) Caviar Pie. It is a favorite among everyone who tastes it and it's made ahead I always serve it with Pumpernickel bread rounds.
[Image: may%2024%20001_zps1hffli3e.jpg]

Caviar “Pie”
Source – a Chef’s Journey…Home
You can use either Black Lumpfish or Whitefish Caviar in this dish. This appetizer is a great way to have those who have never tried caviar enjoy their first experience. It's best served with small slices of pumpernickel bread, or cocktail bread rounds.

6 large hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
3 T. mayonnaise
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup sour cream
3 1/2 oz. Caviar
Lemon wedges and parsley sprigs for garnish

Rub bottom and sides of an 8" spring form pan with butter, or spray with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine eggs and mayonnaise until well blended. Spread in the bottom of pan to make an even layer; sprinkle with onion.

Combine cream cheese and sour cream; beat until smooth. By the spoonful, drop onto onion and with a wet table knife or offset spatula, spread gently to smooth. Cover and chill at least three hours or overnight.

At party time, top with a layer of caviar, distributing it to the edges of the pan. Run a knife around sides of pan; loosen and lift off the sides.
Arrange lemon wedges in open pinwheel and fill center with parsley sprigs. Makes 12-15 servings.

CJ’s tip: Use a chopstick to arrange the caviar with as little damage as possible to the top of the “pie.”
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by cjs (Well now, I just hap...)
The only thing I have planned so far is a dessert from C @ H, basically angel food cake cubes topped with amaretto mascerated strawberries, whipped cream and toasted almonds served in martini glasses.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by Trixxee (The only thing I hav...)
Vicci, my go to app is a Ranch Dip Pizza. New name for it...it's usually that Ranch Veggie Thing...LOL!

2 packs of Ranch Dressing Mix mixed with 3 packs of cream cheese. Spread this on a large round platter about the size of a pizza pan or two smaller ones. Top with chopped veggies and shredded cheese. Arrange toppings separately in "pizza wedges" on top of dip. You can also take thin strips of peppers to seperate wedges and edge the "pizza". Serve with tortilla chips to scoop up the dip.

I usually use tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, green onion, red, green, yellow, and/or orange peppers, mozzarella, and cheddar. But any veggies and/or cheeses will be good. I usually draw it out on paper so the arrangement of colors looks pretty. And I try to use an even number of toppings to make dividing easier.

Funny thing is, I usually have to dip first because it's so pretty, people are reluctant to disturbed it! LOL! Also, my mom has used this in a different way for fancy cucumber sandwiches sometimes topped with a cherry tomato slice. She is requested to make this often.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, my go to app ...)
Wow, the difference when you have time to play with food!!! I made 2 of the mini Caviar pies yesterday, so we had one for ourselves today. Finally, after all these years I have a picture of this that I really like!!
[Image: May%2025%20Caviar%20Pie_zpsf36fqto7.jpg]

Vicci, I think this would knock some socks off at any party.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by cjs (Wow, the difference ...)
That is a great picture Jean and your plating is much better.
  Re: Re: Memorial Day Plans 2016 ? by losblanos1 (That is a great pict...)
Jean, I like that picture better, too. Very pretty.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."