Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf
  Re: (...)
I posted this on my blog, but thought some of you would like the recipe also. Notice there is no fat and it could not be an easier bread to put together! The original recipe did not call for pepper, but I seem to always add a little just to give bread a little boost in flavor.

BREAD - Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf*****
And since I was going to be in the kitchen most of the morning anyway, I made bread from a recipe I recently found as I continue my ongoing project of downsizing the amount of recipes I have which I’m going to ‘MAKE ONE DAY.’ This recipe is from an old Fleischmann’s Yeast advertisement and I first made it Apr. 4, 1981 and again in 1995. It’s been buried since then. I remember loving it and especially toasted.
It’s not the prettiest bread I’ve ever made, but oh so tasty! And one of the easiest to put together.

2 pkgs. Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast (4 1/2 tsps.)
6 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs. Vital Wheat Gluten, optional
2 tsp salt
1 tsp. black pepper, optional
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
Cornmeal

1. Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, gluten, if using, salt, pepper, if using and sod. Heat liquids until very warm (120°-130°F.) Add to dry mixture; beat well. Stir in rest of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2-inch pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover, let rise in warm place for 45 minutes. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool.

2. How easy can a bread recipe be?? You’ll notice the ‘oops’ in the picture of one of the loaves. It overran its pan, but this turned out to be a very good ooops – I cut off the long piece (seen in picture) and we had it as a ‘cracker’ with soup later. I love it when screw-ups turn out well.

[Image: may%2021%20001_zpscyicuj9f.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by cjs (I posted this on my ...)
That looks sooo good, Jean. It wouldn't be fat-free by the time I slathered some butter on it though. Yum.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by Mare749 (That looks sooo good...)
this is true. I gave up butter on any bread (unless I make garlic bread) years ago. I don't even know if I would like it now.

It's like ice cream - we've been eating frozen yogurt for so many years, it feels like my whole mouth is covered in butter fat when I have regular. Silly, I know.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by cjs (this is true. [img]/...)
Beautiful, Jean!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by Gourmet_Mom (Beautiful, Jean!!!...)
Thanks Daphne and Maryann - it sure makes nice toast.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by Gourmet_Mom (Beautiful, Jean!!!...)
This is one of the items I sell at the farmer's markets. Everyone loves it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by labradors (This is one of the i...)
Wow! good products you're pushing, Labs!!

Just had a thought - can you sell things like dairy products? I'm thinking the whiskey butter I made for St. Paddy's day was so good, I have it in the freezer all the time now for a quick spread on toast.

Whiskey Butter

[Image: Mar%2017%20Irish%20Whiskey%20Butter_zps206kepjo.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by cjs (Wow! good products y...)
Jean, that certainly brought back memories! I remember my Mom making this, probably back when the recipe first appeared on their yeast packets (I think that she still has the original, taped to an index card...). It was in 1981, I took a loaf back with me every time I visited home and returned to my first 'grownup" job. She still makes it occasionally, and it's best with her peach jam... yum!
Thanks for the smile!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by foodfiend (Jean, that certainly...)
Nothing that requires refrigeration, Jean. Only "non-potentially hazardous" foods.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fleischmann’s English Muffin Loaf by labradors (Nothing that require...)
Oh, that's right - sorry Labs.

Vicci, my recipe is the one I tore out of a magazine in '81 also - I think Bon Appetit.
www.achefsjourney.com