Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I'm going with a salmon and corn dish -
Slow-Roasted Salmon with Mexican Creamed Corn
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
We will be grilling rib-eyes, baked potatoes, and asparagus.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by Mare749 (We will be grilling ...)
I swear - between you and Daphne, I'm not going to be satisfied until I have a steak & b. potatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by cjs (I swear - between yo...)
Tonight it's ropa vieja stew with spicy mashed sweet potatoes.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by losblanos1 (Tonight it's ropa vi...)
Oh Blane, that is one of our top 10 dishes!!!!!

Today's dinner/supper(?)
Salmon with Mexican Cream Corn

If you like corn? Tomatillos? Salmon? Cilantro? This is the dish for you! Man, it was so flavorful, we just kept nibbling long after we were full!!!!
[Image: may%2022%20003_zpsv0vi3ytb.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by cjs (Oh Blane, that is on...)
Your day will come, Jean! Nice looking plate! That corn really does look good. I'll have to check out the recipe.

Today we finally had our delayed Mother's Day gathering. William and I surprised my mom at her church. Then we killed time at William's office until time for our reservations. Ashley and Jason, her BF, met us at the restaurant.

This is a new restaurant that was rebuilt within the walls of a restaurant that has been in Southport for decades. (Existing structure was close to a foot over the city right of way. So the new owner decided it was best to leave the shell.). But they did a beautiful job on the building.

Oliver stopped by our table to check on us. William told him we'd be there yesterday when Oliver called for another survey job. He is doing another upscale restaurant in a beautiful old historic home up the street from this one.

Anyway, here's the website. http://www.oliversonthecapefear.com
We ate from the Brunch Menu. It's all they serve on Sunday.

They installed a beautiful new bar.

[Image: image_51.jpg]

A friend of Mom's did the interior decorating. I thought these light fixtures were really neat. Wine bottles!

[Image: image_44.jpg]

Mom ordered the Ham and Asparagus Crepes with Hollandaise Sauce. A piece of Brown Sugar Monkey Bread and a Fruit Salad with a Strawberry Vinaigrette Drizzle came with the meal.

[Image: image_45.jpg]

I got the Shrimp and Grits. It was a generous portion. The shrimp were perfect. I'm still full! A snack is on for dinner, if we have anything!

[Image: image_46.jpg]

The boys both got the Crab Cake Benedict. When it came they were pleased that instead of a crab cake with filler, it had a generous portion of lump crab under a perfectly poached egg and a drizzle of Hollandaise. They chose a side salad. I tasted William's, and it was delicious! It also came with the Monkey Bread and bacon.

[Image: image_47.jpg]

Ashley chose the Classic Cobb Salad. It was a big surprise! When the waitress placed it in front of her. Every jaw dropped! Beautiful and HUGE! She took half of it home. And that's after Jason helped himself to her plate!

[Image: image_49.jpg]

And the view wasn't bad either. The restaurant sits at the point where the Cape Fear River meets the Intracoastal Waterway and the mouth of the river heads out to sea. That beautiful two masted schooner has been anchored nearby for several days and pulled anchor to head out to sea while we were eating. Sadly, due to the shoals that are the reason our coast is referred to as the Graveyard of the Atlantic, the captain had to motor out before hauling up his sails when he reached the Sea Buoy further off shore. But still a cool boat!

[Image: image_50.jpg]

Banner Day weather made it a perfect day!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Your day will come, ...)
Oh WOW!!! What a day you all had!!! How fun and the food??? Absolutely spectacular - I'll take one of each.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by cjs (Oh WOW!!! What a day...)
Thanks, Jean. It was a very lovely day. I can't wait to go back!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean. It wa...)
Daphne, it looks like you had a wonderful day with your mom. The food looks delicious! Maybe we can go there when we are passing through?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 5/22/16?? by Mare749 (Daphne, it looks lik...)