Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

I'm doing ribs in the IP and potato salad leftover, so certainly easy today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm making the clam chowder from the Splendid Soups cookbook, a favorite of ours.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by losblanos1 (I'm making the clam ...)
I'm making the Garlicky Flank Steak with Charred Pepper Relish and Creamed Summer Squash from #118. It's amazing how much easier it is to be inspired now that I'm not totally stressed!!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by karyn (I'm making the Garli...)
And, how nice to see you early in the day!! Enjoy your summer, Karyn

Blane, Chowder does sound good - getting rain again 'over there'??? Not sprinkling here - it's raining.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by cjs (And, how nice to see...)
Major June Gloom here - chicken noodle soup sounds good, haven't made it in several months.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by Trixxee (Major June Gloom her...)
We got a wonderful break from the 90 degree temps we had last week. Only in the low 70's the last few days!

Grilling some nice fat bone-in pork chops tonight that are bathing in a nice brine for a few hours. Roasted sweet potatoes and sauteed garlicky spinach on the side.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by Mare749 (We got a wonderful b...)
Everything sounds so good!

I'm so glad you're off for summer, Karyn! I hope you'll review that dinner, Karyn!

I decided to doctor up last night's chicken. It was not a big hit. So I'm cutting up the meat and tossing with Frank's Red Hot. I'll serve it over salad with blue cheese dressing. Leftover corn and squash casseroles, which were so good last night, will be on the side.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Everything sounds so...)
Oooooh that sounds good Daphne! Everything sounds good.

I went down to the freezer to grab a couple of chicken breasts for dinner and found that the bottom 2 shelves of the freezer were refrigerating not freezing! I have 5 chicken breasts in the sous vide - 2 for Mustard Dill Chicken Breasts and the others seasoned differently to cool and put back in the freezer.

So tonight is Mustard Dill Chicken Breasts, Butter Poached fingerling Potatoes and asparagus. I'll use our little microwave "grill pan" for the aspargus - it's always perfect!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by Harborwitch (Oooooh that sounds g...)
Good thing you got to the chicken, Sharon!!
Another day where everything does sound good!

I'm having the perpetual problem of finding ideas for our 'later' snack - Since we have our meal in the middle of the day it can be a problem finding something that is not too filling but will last Roy until morning. Did not think this would be such a problem. But, I hate eating heavier (again) in the evening.

So, went with breakfast for dinner on Monday and made a coffee cake - first one in years - and had ham and Roy had an egg with his. But my eyes were larger than my stomach and cut the cake pieces too large. But what a great flavor it had.

It’s an old recipe from MasterCook and with a pat of melted butter, took me back to my childhood!!!
[Image: jun%2013%20001_zpsnlrertra.jpg]
[Image: jun%2013%20004_zpsxhyqi4mb.jpg]

Buttermilk Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Serves 12

2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.

Mix flour, sugars, 1 teaspoon spoon cinnamon, salt and ginger. Stir in oil until mixture is crumbly and evenly moistened.

For cake topping, put 3/4 cup flour mixture into a small bowl. Stir in nuts and remaining cinnamon. Stir baking powder and soda into remaining mixture.

Beat buttermilk and egg to blend. Add to flour mix, stirring until batter just forms.

Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle topping over pan evenly. Bake at 350 degrees F. For 40 to 45 minutes or until pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely, in the pan, on a wire rack.

----------
P.S. wine choice for dinner time breakfast? Gewurztraminer was great with the coffee cake and ham!

www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 6/13/16?? by cjs (Good thing you got t...)
I haven't had ham in a while. Looks good Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.