1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 cups fresh black raspberries
2 cups fresh marionberries
2 cups fresh loganberries
1 cup strawberries -- optional
2 cups blueberries -- optional

Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise with a sharp paring knife and scrape out the seeds with the back of the knife; save the empty pod for a garnish, if you like. Put the seeds in a small saucepan, along with the sugar and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 7 minutes ot let the vanilla infuse. Strain through a fine sieve to remove any fibrous pieces of vanilla pod or clumps of seeds. Let cool and refrigerate until completely chilled.

Rinse the berries and spread them in a single layer on a towel to dry. Hull the strawberries, is using, and cut them into quarters.

Just before serving, combine all the berries in a large serving bowl and pour on just enough of the vanilla syrup to lightly coat them, about 3 Tbs. Toss gently.

Source:
"Fine Cooking, Jun/Jul '04"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The original recipe called for blueberries and strawberries instead of the marionberries and loganberries. I am not that fond of blueberries and allergic to strawberries, so I substituted them out.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by bjcotton (Here's the next reci...)
Another winner bj----I will use the blueberries though--cuz we love them!!! Strawberries are out of season but the raspberries are super---go figure!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by Roxanne 21 (Another winner bj---...)
I haven't tried all the recipes I post, but they ingrigue me enough to want to share them.

Roxanne, it delights my heart to share recipes with others in hopes they find them intrigueing too.

Billy
  Re: Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by bjcotton (I haven't tried all ...)
And you have an "intrigued" experimenter here----I thrive on new recipes--the challenge or simpleness is the draw. It's wonderful to create a "new" thingy in the kitchen--and sometimes we need the impetus from other interested souls.

I do not have the time or the ingredients to create all of the submissions but I do what I can -- and have not been unhappy with the results--SO FAR!!!

Keep 'em coming!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by bjcotton (Here's the next reci...)
BillyJ - if I might be so bold as to suggest something in this recipe - just a suggestion...

"Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise with a sharp paring knife and scrape out the seeds with the back of the knife; save the empty pod for a garnish, if you like. Put the seeds in a small saucepan, along with the sugar and water."

Add to vanilla pod to the sugar and water - the flavor will be much more intense.

and this recipe is duly copied!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by cjs (BillyJ - if I might ...)
I was wondering why they didn't recommend putting the pod into the mix. I was planning to as soon as the local berries came into season. They're so darned expensive here now.

Billy
  Re: Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by bjcotton (I was wondering why ...)
Then you can rinse the pod, dry it, and place in a jar of sugar. Voila, vanilla sugar!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by Lorraine (Then you can rinse t...)
Ok, so now I have to ask a stupid question...what does one do with vanilla sugar? I made some a few weeks ago, but now I don't know what to do with it! I was planning on using it in my coffee, but alas, coffee is forbidden to me now. Any ideas?
Tammy
  Re: Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by TwilightKitten (Ok, so now I have to...)
You can use it in sugar cookies, or process it finely and dust on dessert. My favourite is to butter hot crepes ( right out of the pan) and sprinkle them with the sugar.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Mixed Berries with Vanilla Syrup by Lorraine (You can use it in su...)
Crepes hot from the pan. The new fondue, a weekend breakfast to die for. Lorraine, we have sugar and lemon juice crepes now and then, but have never used flavoured sugar before. Not cinnamin, not vanilla. Cooked/stewed fruits of course, with jam(s). Fresh berries with whipped cream. Tinned fruits too, I like tinned fruits. We are not supposed to like tinned things, but I do. Where would we be without them.