Sous Vide Cookbooks
  Re: (...)
I am loving the Anova! It's perhaps the best way to cook/pre-cook chicken! Beans in a quart jar were perfect although we think the jar kept the gaseous components trapped in the beans. Fish was amazing and we are looking forward to having more fun with it . . . and it doesn't heat up the kitchen in the motorhome.

I just bought my first sous vide cookbook and while it is geared toward the Sous Vide Supreme there are some wonderful recipes in it. But . . . I am looking for one that is more comprehensive. I know a lot of you are using this technique so any recommendations?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Sous Vide Cookbooks by Harborwitch (I am loving the Anov...)
I bought one, but end up looking up what I want online. Serious Eats and Modernist Cuisine are great sources. I do have the Food Lab and Modernist Cuisine and use those books, but they are pricey and have lots more than just sous vide.
  Re: Re: Sous Vide Cookbooks by Cubangirl (I bought one, but en...)
Anova's own website has a lot of recipes as well.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Sous Vide Cookbooks by BarbaraS (Anova's own website ...)
I like the Anova website a lot Barbara.

I am going to check out those cookbooks. I'm so loving this "toy"!
  Re: Re: Sous Vide Cookbooks by Harborwitch (I like the Anova web...)
Sharon, how did you do the chicken? I've been wanting to try chicken with the Anova but just haven't done so, yet.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sous Vide Cookbooks by labradors (Sharon, how did you ...)
Not Sharon, but here's what I've been doing.

I like doing the chicken pieces with a rub rather than a marinade in the sous vide – 150° for 1 hour.

Thighs, I go for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sous Vide Cookbooks by labradors (Sharon, how did you ...)
This was the first recipe we did with chicken breasts, from the anovaculinary.com site.

Sous Vide Chicken Breasts with Mustard Dill Cream Sauce
Dill is such a reminder of spring for me. I love the lemony notes of this herb combined with mustard in this dish, with just enough cream to make it feel really indulgent. Fresh dill can be used, of course — use about three times the amount to get the same flavor impact.

145.4 F / 63 C Recipe Temp
01:30Recipe Time
00:15Prep Time
Ingredients for 2
• 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill or 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh
• 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 (8- to 10-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
• Step 1
Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 145ºF (63.5ºC).
• Step 2
In a small bowl, mix olive oil, 1 teaspoon dill, dried mustard, and ginger to form a paste. Rub over chicken breasts.
• Step 3
Place chicken in a large zipper lock bag and seal using the water immersion technique. Place the bag in the water bath and set the timer for 1 1/2 hours.
o Finishing Steps
o Step 1
When the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath. Remove the chicken from the bag and gently pat dry. Discard cooking liquid.
o Step 2
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter stops foaming, add the chicken and sear until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
o Step 3
Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add the cream and remaining 1/2 teaspoon dill. Bring to a rapid simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low.
o Step 4
Continue to simmer until cream is thickened and bubbles look big and velvety. The cream should coat the back of a spoon without dripping off. Remove from the heat and whisk in mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
o Step 5
Serve chicken breasts topped with the cream sauce.

The second time I rubbed the chicken with salt & pepper and some of Penzey's new light Curry Powder. I used the same time and temp. I also did two with just salt & pepper at the same time. The curry chicken made the most amazing chicken salad! Their website has some pretty good recipes (other than the hardboiled eggs).
  Re: Re: Sous Vide Cookbooks by Harborwitch (This was the first r...)
Thanks! Need to try some of these chicken ideas soon.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?