4th of July - 2016???
  Re: (...)
Just looked at the calendar - WTH, it's almost July?? I know most of you are having summer already, but just think of poor Blane, Erin, Jean, etal. We're still waiting, waiting, waiting. And another storm moving thru tonight. (whine, whine, whine )

So, what are the plans for the 4th??

I know only one thing - no ribs this year!! I think I've done them every year forever! Let's get some ideas going here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by cjs (Just looked at the c...)
We have a chicken in the freezer. I think it's time for a smoked chicken. It's a day off for me so that's good, Bob and i will have to talk.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by Harborwitch (We have a chicken in...)
Oh, smoked chicken sounds so good. Maybe we will do that this weekend. We like to smoke turkey, too.

As for the 4th, we have not decided, but are thinking of joining the kids at their campground for at least one day. So, I need to make some food plans....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by Mare749 (Oh, smoked chicken s...)
Our neighbor's usually have a crowd over for hot dogs. Everybody brings sides, appetizers, and desserts. I think I took dessert last year, praline cheese cake, and everybody was so full, I brought practically the whole darn thing home! Won't do that again. I'll have to think about it for a few more days.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by Gourmet_Mom (Our neighbor's usual...)
I'm not happy that the 4th is on Monday with everyone having work on Tuesday. It's made my weekend really complicated. I need to do much more than the annual ribfest. Sigh....

Our niece and her friend arrive on Friday and stay until Tuesday. Both boys and the GF will pick them up at the airport and be at the lake that night after dinner. (I'll have a charcuterie platter ready).

Family friends arrive on Saturday and leave on Sunday. We’ll do the ribs then.

YS's friends have their annual 4th of July reunion on Sunday and leave on Monday. I’m thinking of doing either fajitas or these chicken sandwiches.

We're doing the fireworks on the lake Monday night (assuming there aren't thunderstorms). I’m planning on burgers, but I may be drinking my dinner by then!

Breakfasts will be a choice of omelets, breakfast burritos, scrambles, scones, biscuits, sausage, pimento cheese, and/or oatmeal. Since so much of the prep work can be done ahead of time, that’s the easy part.

Lunches will be whatever people bring….and the keg of Creature Comforts Tropicalia that is waiting to be tapped!
  Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by karyn (I'm not happy that t...)
Whew!! I'm exhausted for you, Karyn!! But, you'll have fun with all your friends and relatives.

I picked up some beautiful prawns this week, so I'm going with those for beginning my 4th menu.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by cjs (Whew!! I'm exhausted...)
Karyn, your weekend sounds fabulous, but a lot of work for you. I hope you won't mind me putting in my two cents. My life became a lot less complicated when I learned how to delegate. I used to control every detail from A to Z only to have certain relatives breeze through like we run a B&B. I'm sure your family is a whole lot more considerate than some of my "extended" family who needed to be "trained".
Maryann

Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by Mare749 (Karyn, your weekend ...)
During a long thread started by Vicci re all of us giving up control of our entertaining, it was amazing how most of us on here are Type A to the nth degree!!

We all gave each other some wonderful ideas.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by cjs (During a long thread...)
So true. I'm fine tuning "the training" all the time and always appreciate hearing what works and what doesn't.
Maryann

Re: Re: 4th of July - 2016??? by Mare749 (So true. I'm fine tu...)
Last night was movie night for the motley crew and my food contribution was a Camembert and Walnut (Pecan) Paté and it's a really tasty easy addition to a buffet.

An idea for the 4th? It's an old MasterCook recipe -

Camembert And Walnut Paté

7 ounces camembert cheese -- rind removed
4 ounces cream cheese -- cut in chunks, at room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts -- toasted
additional finely chopped walnuts (I used Pecans)

Blend Camembert in food processor until smooth. Gradually add cream cheese, processing until smooth after each addition. Add lime juice, process until smooth. Transfer mixture to bowl. Mix in 2 tb nuts. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon pate into 2 cup bowl. Sprinkle with additional chopped walnuts. Serve with toasted baguette slices and crudities like endives and red pepper strips. If Camembert is very strong, increase amount of cream cheese.

[Image: jun%2028%20005_zpst8trzejg.jpg]

[Image: wine_zpszzpind2b.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com