Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Pizza here - slow cooked some wings for our snack yesterday and had a couple left over with a really spicy sauce. Will be a tasty one, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm in the mood for another salad, so thinking of doing taco salad today. Going to be 91° and humid today. Yuck. Not my favorite weather. I know...Daphne and Trixxee are probably rolling their eyes at me right now.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by Mare749 (I'm in the mood for ...)
91 and humid is not my favorite either! At least in general when it gets hot here the humidity isn't a big factor. I think we are in store for about 5 days of 90'ish degrees as well but at least the nights cool down so I can have the windows open and AC off until around noon.

Tony's heading to Denver for a few days for a trade show so I'm cleaning out the fridge. Tonight I'm having chicken piccata with leftover couscous and I'll steam the rest of the broccolini. Michael wants bacon and eggs.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by Trixxee (91 and humid is not ...)
Actually, it's in the low 80's today with mid level humidity here. And it is very welcomed!!

I've been a cooking/prepping cool today, but I have got all meals for next week done except for finishing the chicken salad and make the lime congealed salad. I'm getting ready to get those done shortly. I'm on break now. I'm determined to have it all done and relax this afternoon. I worked on office stuff and house work until dark yesterday, and I'm pooped!!!

Anyway, we are having chicken pastry, chicken salad and pastry for dinner. This is a traditional family Sunday dinner at my grandparents' houses. It seems nice to carry on the tradition.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Actually, it's in th...)
"lime congealed salad" - might (or could) this be called 'gelatin salad'??? (what a visual)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by cjs ("lime congealed sala...)
Too funny! I guess you could, but the recipe from my grandmother calls it congealed, AND she goes on to spell salad "salade"! LOL! Go figure!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Too funny! I guess ...)
She had class!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by cjs (She had class!...)
It's funny, I googled the recipe and discovered two things. Apparently, congealed is a Southern term Mom has several congealed salads. Some recipes popped up as gelatin, actually. The other thing is I discovered that this is apparently a Ma Ma Parker original.

The only constant was the lime jello and boiling water. Some had cream cheese, and some had cottage cheese. We use the later. All had milk in various forms, but while it's still milk, ours has Carnation. A lot of them had chopped celery....EEEEWWWW! My ma ma NEVER used celery that I can remember. That's why I only started using it in recipes in the past 15-20 years. And about half had marshmallows, which I assume she took out. I don't think I ever saw her eat those either.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by cjs (She had class!...)
Daphne, I'm dying to know...what is chicken pastry and chicken salad with pastry? Sounds yummy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Sunday Dinner, 6/26/16?? by Mare749 (Daphne, I'm dying to...)
Maryann, I boil a large chicken and remove all the meat to make chicken salad.. The rich broth is boiled and I add sheets of pasty dough about a little more narrow than than lasagna noodles, half as long, and slightly thicker. The starch from the pastry thickens the broth a little. I think you call it chicken and dumplings? Part of the broth is also used for baby butter beans. This is a family tradition that was served at every large family gathering on both sides of my family. The only thing missing is collards and fried corn bread. The chicken salad is served cold and will make several meals this week with other sides like the lime congealed salad. Two cold salads on a hot evening sounds good to me! I think I'll save the hamburgers I pattied and froze today for next week. And have the two salads instead.
Daphne