Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Blane had me grabbing 'Celebrate the Rain' off the shelf and my eye caught a recipe I haven't made yet - Knock Your Socks Off Shrimp - so, this will be for us today. Along with pasta or rice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Big cooking day for me - two new recipes to try out. First off, a new Southern Fried Chicken recipe from Serious Eats. You don't completely fry the chicken to done in the oil, but finish it in the oven so as not to burn the breading. Also, a different way to marinate the chicken overnight.

Next up, a Peach Crisp. Not your Pineapple Crisp recipe subbing peaches Jean. Different spices in the crisp part.

Also on deck is Nanny Hunter's Corn Fritters! A must-have with fried chicken. Woohoo!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by BarbaraS (Big cooking day for ...)
Geez, this menu is just so up my alley!!!! o.k., questions -

- a different marinade??

- different spices for the crisp??

- I stomp over folks to get to corn fritters!!!

Have a great one - and what beverage will be added????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by cjs (Geez, this menu is j...)
My mom used to cook chicken that way. She would pan-fry until golden, then into the oven for about 40 minutes or so.

Also interested in the peach crisp.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by Mare749 (My mom used to cook ...)
Did I forget to mention the Maple Cream Sauce that goes with it? Enjoy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-d...ecipe.html

Edit to Add: The recipe calls for 1 3/4 lb peaches, could definitely use at least a pound more. I used an 8x8 inch pyrex, and it didn't come halfway up. The recipe makes a lot of topping and I don't think a whole stick of butter should be used, but it's still cooling. The maple cream topping takes at least a half hour to reduce.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by BarbaraS (Did I forget to ment...)
"My mom used to cook chicken that way. She would pan-fry until golden, then into the oven for about 40 minutes or so."

Boy, did that jump start some memories for me. My Mom did her chicken like this also - in a cast iron Dutch oven. Hadn't thought of that forever.

I bet that Maple Cream would be wonderful over the Pineapple crisp, also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by cjs ("My mom used to cook...)
Yep, in the dutch oven is how she did it, Jean.

Maple cream? Yummy.

Not sure what we'll end up having today. Still deciding what I want to take out to the kiddos tomorrow. So far, all I have decided on is pasta salad. Also thinking of prepping a bunch of veggies for the grill and I would like to take a dessert, maybe one of those ice-box desserts...
Maryann

Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by Mare749 (Yep, in the dutch ov...)
I think Tony is turning a brisket he smoked a while back into chile colorado burritos.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by Trixxee (I think Tony is turn...)
chile colorado burritos. - oh yes.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 7/2/16?? by cjs ( chile colorado burr...)
Well, we decided to put some rib-eyes on the grill along with some sweet potatoes and corn on the cob. Good summer meal.

Today I made old-fashioned macaroni salad because that's what they want. Also made up a veggie tray with hummus and a spinach dip.

Now I'm waiting for a pound cake to cool so I can assemble a cake that is called "Wave your Flag Cheesecake". It has sliced pound cake on the bottom, then a layer of jello, strawberries and blueberries, then a layer of sweetened cream cheese and a layer of cool whip. Then, you decorate the top with blueberries and strawberries to look like a flag. I'm sure everyone has seen some version of this.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/wave...heesecake-65084
Maryann