Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

We have old friends from California coming for lunch - keeping it simple so we can all just yak!!
Chickpea, Couscous & Feta Salad
Deviled Salmon & Corn Cake Sliders
Marshmallow Crème & Cream Cheese dip w/fruit
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Sounds delicious. Have fun!

I think we're going to have Chile Colorado Burritos tonight. Going to try the IP recipe from the book that came with it. We're having a warm spell here, so probably some ice cold Corona to go with.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by Mare749 (Sounds delicious. Ha...)
Haven't cooked from that yet - anxious to hear how you like it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by cjs (Haven't cooked from ...)
I haven't cooked from that either. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the Chile Colorado, Maryann.

We're super hot here but I like grilling in the summer, so we're having Grilled Citrus Chicken from the latest Cook's Country and Grilled Green Bean Salad .
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by karyn (I haven't cooked fro...)
We love those burritos!

Today was the craziest yet! I swear, William turned into the Tasmanian Devil! It got so bad, I sent him on an errand he intended sending me on! Anyway, we were so busy, when I looked at the time it was two! Loco Jo's was out of today's special of Kim's Spicy Ribs with fried rice and egg roll, so I went with a new special of Sea Bass Tacos with house made tortilla chips and salsa......so good! I've got to get better about taking pictures of these special meals! William got a mountain of fried rice! Brian was in the kitchen so he loaded us up! Not only was William's serving huge, my two tacos had enough fish in them to make four!

After all that, we decided to just pick up a couple Boar's Head sammies at the store to toast up later when it cools off.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by karyn (I haven't cooked fro...)
Change of plans. Ron had to go to a meeting, so eating out, and I'll do a grilled cheese and salad tonight.

I was looking at recipes for the Chile Colorado burritos and most look pretty much the same. Does anyone have a favorite to share? I'll probably make it tomorrow.
Maryann

Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by Mare749 (Change of plans. Ron...)
Here's one from Daphne from a couple years ago that we really liked

Chile Colorado Burritos*****

Daphne posted this recipe everyone is making these

2 lb stew meat
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
1 Tbs Knorr's Caldo de Tomate
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbs chili powder
3 Tbs all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
flour tortillas
shredded cheese

1. Make enchilada sauce. In a medium sauce pan, whisk together tomato sauce, Caldo de Tomate, garlic powder, chili powder, flour and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

2. Place stew meat in 6-quart slow cooker. Cover with enchilada sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours.

3. Shred beef. On an oven-proof plate, lay out a tortilla. Top tortilla with about 1/3 cup of the meat and some shredded cheese. Roll up into a burrito. Pour some enchilada sauce from the crock pot over the burrito to cover it. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly, about 2-4 minutes.

4. If I remember correctly, I removed the beef to shred so that I had plenty of sauce? I can't wait! It is sooooo good!

OR, if you really want to work - this is an old Rick Bayless recipe

* Exported from MasterCook *

RICK BAYLESS TINY TOSTADOS

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Rick Bayless's Tiny Tostadas of Smoky Chicken Tinga with Avocado and Aged Cheese

It's rare to pass a restaurant, snack shop or street stall in the Central Mexican town of Puebla without detecting the alluring aroma of shredded pork with smoky chipotle chile, tomato and sweet onion. Tinga they call it, and they spoon it into soft tacos or crusty rolls. I like to serve tinga piled onto crispy tortillas (tostadas, tostaditas or totopos, they call them), then top it with the typical Pueblan avocado and cheese. Tingas are often made with chicken, and occasionally I go further afield, to shredded smoked fish or quail. They're the perfect accompaniment to a well-made margarita.

Makes 24 small tostadas, enough for 6 to 8 guests

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Chipotle-Cascabel Salsa (recipe follows)
1/2 of a 15-ounce can whole tomatoes, with half the can's juice
1 tablespoon vinegar, preferably cider vinegar
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
2 cups (loosely packed) coarsely shredded, cooked chicken (I'd either poach, grill or broil a large chicken breast or buy a small rotisserie chicken to shred)
salt, about 1/2 teaspoon
24 good-size corn tortillas chips, preferably homemade thick ones
1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/8-inch pieces
3 to 4 tablespoons finely grated Mexican queso añejo, Parmesan or Romano
chopped cilantro, for garnish

Preparation:

Combine the salsa, tomatoes with their juice and the vinegar in a blender or food processor and purée. In a large skillet, cook the onion in the oil over medium heat until crisp-tender and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Press the salsa mixture through a medium-mesh strainer into the skillet. Simmer, stirring regularly until quite thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken, cool, then taste and season with salt.

Arrange the chips on one or more serving platters. Top each with a heaping tablespoon of the chicken tinga, a few pieces of avocado, a sprinkling of cheese and cilantro and they're ready to pass around.

Chipotle-Cascabel Salsa with Roasted Tomatoes and Tomatillos

This is salsa at its complex best: smoky fire from those beloved little chipotles (smoke-dried jalapeños), nutty intricacy from dried cascabels, sweetness from roasted tomatoes and garlic, zestiness from tomatillos. There are so many wonderful things going on here, taste-wise, that you'll feel compelled to try it again and again. The dried chipotles are easier to find than the dried cascabel chiles, when none of the latter is available, make a very good salsa with all chipotles. When only canned chipotles (not dried) are available (I'm referring here to the widely available, very popular ones packed in the vinegary tomato sauce called adobo-it'll say that on the can), you can substitute those already-reconstituted canned chiles for one or both of the dried chiles, skip the toasting and soaking in Step 1.

Makes 2 cups

Ingredients:

3 each dried chipotle chiles (use the dark red chipotles colorados - often sold as moritas in the U.S., rather than the tan chipotles mecos)
3 each dried round cascabel chiles
1/2 pound (6 to 7 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1/2 pound (3 medium) ripe tomatoes (preferably plum tomatoes)
6 each garlic cloves, peeled
1 large (1/2 pound) white onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup water (approximate)
generous teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)

Preparation:

Heat the broiler and set a heavy skillet over medium heat. Break the stems off the chiles, scoop them into the heating pan and stir, pressing them down regularly, until you notice that the chiles have darkened a little in spots and they fill the kitchen with their spicy aroma - the whole toasting process will take 2 to 3 minutes.

Scoop the chiles into a bowl, pour very hot tap water on them and lay a plate over them to keep them submerged.

On a broiler pan or heavy baking sheet (lined with heavy duty foil if you want juice collection and clean up to go quickly), spread out the whole tomatillos and tomatoes and set under the broiler. Let roast for 5 or 6 minutes until softened (you're cooking them through here) and blackened in splotches on one side (the tomatillos will have begun to turn olive in color with dark spots), then use a pair of tongs to turn them over.

Set under the broiler for another 5 or 6 minutes until completely softened and equally darkened on the other side. Remove to cool.

Turn the oven down to 425 degrees. On a similar pan or baking sheet, spread out the garlic and onion (break the onion into rings, so that it'll roast evenly). Set in the oven and roast, stirring well every couple of minutes, until beautifully roasted, you want the garlic soft and the onion richly browned - there may be a couple of charred ends here and there, but don't let it all burn or your salsa will be bitter.

Total roasting time will be about 15 minutes. (For an even smokier flavor, you can grill-roast the onions and garlic in a perforated grilling pan over a moderately low charcoal fire.)

Scrape the onion and garlic into a food processor, cover and pulse until they are finely chopped (but not a pasty smooth purée). Scoop into a large bowl. Drain the rehydrated chiles (they should have soaked about 20 minutes by now - the right amount of time to soften them without soaking away too much of their flavor).

For a less rustic salsa (or if you're canning the salsa), peel the skins off the cooled tomatoes and cut out the "cores" where the stems were attached (work over the baking sheet to capture all the juices). Without washing the processor, scoop in the chiles, then add the tomatillos (don't peel or core them) and tomatoes with all their accumulated juices.

Pulse a few times, then let the machine run until everything is quite finely puréed (this takes a minute or so, dried chile skins are tougher than fresh chile skins). Scrape into the bowl with the onion/garlic, then stir in the fresh thyme and enough water to give you an easily spoonable consistency.

(For what it's worth, this salsa is usually made somewhat thin and very spicy in Mexico-the perfect little drizzle over eggs or tacos.)

Taste, then season with salt and optional sugar. Remember: like all condiments, this salsa should be highly seasoned-a little salty and with enough sugar to balance the bitiness of the chiles and tanginess of the tomatillos. If you're planning to use your salsa right away, simply pour it into a bowl and it's ready, or, refrigerate it and use within 5 days.

Mexico One Plate at a Time - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by cjs (Here's one from Daph...)
Maryann, the one Jean posted from me actually came from others, but I have made it several times. The first time I made it, I knew it was going to be good! Just the sauce when I got started smelled AWESOME and I knew I had a winner! I'm thinking of doubling the sauce next time, it's that good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, the one Jea...)
Thanks, Jean and Daphne. That recipe for Chile Colorado is different from the ones that I found and is probably better since you make the sauce yourself rather than using a canned enchilada sauce. Not sure what I'll do now as I already bought the canned sauce, so will probably go with that this time, then do Daphne's recipe next time.

I love those recipes from Rick Bayless, but they are so time intensive and have so many ingredients that would have to be purchased from specialty markets, especially the chiles that he uses. I would have to look for those at the Westside Market or order online as they are not common in my area.
Maryann

Re: Re: Wednesday's Dinner, 7/13/16?? by Mare749 (Thanks, Jean and Dap...)
Oh Maryann, speaking of enchilada sauce made me think of an old family favorite! (and a use for your can of sauce )
* Exported from MasterCook *

SOUTH OF THE BORDER LASAGNE*****

2 lbs. ground. Chuck -- crumbled
1 onion -- chopped
1 can tomatoes -- (14 oz.) (14 to 16)
1 can enchilada sauce -- (10 oz.)
1 can sliced ripe olives -- (2 1/4 oz.) include liquid
1 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/8 tsp. Pepper•
1/4 cup. salad oil
8 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cup. small-curd cottage cheese
2 eggs
12 oz. Jack cheese -- thinly sliced
4 cup. shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup finely crushed Tortilla chips

Brown beef and onion in a large skillet; drain off fat. Add the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, olives with their liquid, salt, garlic and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Heat oil in a small skillet and heat tortillas one at a time for a few seconds on each side until just softened. Drain tortillas on paper towels; cut each in half.

Mix the cottage cheese with the eggs and set aside.

Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce in a buttered, shallow, 3-quart baking dish; top with half the Jack cheese, half the cottage cheese mixture and half the tortillas halves, arranging each in an even layer.

Repeat layering, using 1/3 more of the meat sauce and the remaining Jack cheese, cottage cheese mixture and the tortilla halves. Spread the remaining meat sauce over and top with cheddar cheese and a border of crushed tortilla chips.

Bake, uncovered, in a 350 F. oven for 20 minutes (35 minutes if made ahead and cold), or until casserole is thoroughly heated and cheddar cheese is melted. Cut into squares or wedges to serve. Makes 8 servings.

Description:
"South of the Border Lasagna was one of my oldest son's, Scott, favorite dinners while he was growing up and the rest of the family was not far behind in our liking it also."

-----------
Off to see now if I have a can in the pantry!
www.achefsjourney.com