Cooking with squash blossoms :)
  Re: (...)
Our summer squash are doing so well, and when I went out to the garden yesterday morning there were several nice-sized zucchini with beautiful blossoms still attached. I picked them, and googled for ideas. Most of what I found was deep-fried, but I came across a couple of recipes for frittatas. Since we hadn't had breakfast yet, I made my own version using what I had on hand and it turned out great! I've never eaten squash blossoms before and they taste like... zucchini! In case anyone wants to try:

Summer Frittata with Squash Blossoms, Zucchini, and Tomatoes

Ingredients

4 or 5 squash blossoms
3/4 cup chopped zucchini
1 small garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
½ cup chopped seeded tomato
2T basil (green or purple)

3T shredded Parmesan, divided
about 2 teaspoons of olive oil
smoked paprika (optional)

1T unsalted butter
3 whole large eggs
2 large egg whites
2T milk
salt and freshly ground pepper

Prepare the squash blossoms: using a small sharp paring knife or scissors, carefully cut around the base and pull off the section with the tiny spiky green leaves. The stamen (inside the flower) should come off with this; if not, remove the stamen. Run some cold water into the hole which you've just cut, this will clean the inside and open the flowers a bit. Gently run water over the outside, then set blossoms on a towel to drain.

Preheat oven to 375F.

Melt butter in an 8” ovenproof skillet. Saute zucchini over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes. Add onion and stir for a minute, then add garlic and tomato and cook for another minute, stirring often. The zucchini and onion should be softened. Turn off heat.

Crack eggs and egg whites into a bowl, add milk, and beat. Add basil, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, some salt and pepper, and stir.

Turn heat on under veggies to medium, and add egg mixture when pan is warmed. Allow to cook in pan, undisturbed, for a minute. Using a spatula, push egg mixture into center, shake pan to settle the eggs, and cover. Turn heat down and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the eggs start to set but the top is still wet. Turn off heat, sprinkle with smoked paprika (if using); add squash blossoms over the top, drizzle the blossoms with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1T of Parmesan.

Place pan in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until done.

Serving note: the squash blossoms do not cut very cleanly so it's best to cut the fritatta into wedges with scissors.

Next time: use some spinach!

[Image: IMG_3757_zpsf8pt7btb.jpg]" />

[Image: IMG_3758%201024x683_zpsturd9dti.jpg]" />

Wow, what huge photos! I'm using Photobucket, any suggestions on how to reduce the size (if that's even possible). Didn't realize the second photo was so out of focus...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Cooking with squash blossoms :) by foodfiend (Our summer squash ar...)
Very pretty, Vicci! I think the size is fine!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking with squash blossoms :) by Gourmet_Mom (Very pretty, Vicci! ...)
Looks great. I love to grab the blossoms and play.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking with squash blossoms :) by cjs (Looks great. I love ...)
Very nice. Looks delicious.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."