Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I have leftovers, so more chicken and orzo. and crooknecks, some way.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I'm going to make some chicken & corn chowder with the leftover beer can chicken and 2 beautiful ears of corn. I love getting multiple meals out of a $4 chicken.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by Trixxee (I'm going to make so...)
I do too, Trixxee, and if you use the bones and corn cobs for stock, it stretches it even further.

We have some Chile Colorado meat l/o, so will make some tacos tonight instead of burritos, just to switch it up.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by Mare749 (I do too, Trixxee, a...)
Speaking of that....I'm going to dilute the sauce for the Sweet & Spicy chicken from yesterday and use it for cooking rice. What a great flavor it will give!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by cjs (Speaking of that.......)
Good ideas ladies! I love it when that happens!

So I got my day off! I'm off to do prep for dinner and then prep for a few meals for the rest of the week. Dinner tonight is the Grilled Cilantro Fish in Coconut Broth with Sushi Rice with green beans that William loves so much. He's excited!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Good ideas ladies! ...)
Yes, great ideas!

Daphne - is this the recipe you're doing? I think it sounds fantastic and I do have two nice tilapia "loins" in the freezer. This may be dinner tomorrow! I think all I would have to buy are the chilies. Thanks.

https://bonappetithon.files.wordpress.co...o-fish.pdf
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by Trixxee (Yes, great ideas![br...)
Your dinner sounds delicious, Daphne.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by Mare749 (Your dinner sounds d...)
Yes, it sure does!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by cjs (Yes, it sure does!...)
Here we go - this one will definitely go in a cookbook (If I have another one in me!)

Zucchini Noodles with Fennel, Peas and Parmesan
a Chef’s Journey Recipe

[Image: jul%2018%20004_zpsure6g8uc.jpg]

This came into being by using ingredients from 2 different dinners and the hard part will be to bring them together again. What I might do is, make Black Bean & Corn Wraps (from Black Beans & Corn cookbook) and save the dressing drained from the filling and adding the leftover chicken from serving Sweet & Spicy Drumsticks (from aspicyperspective.com blog) for wonderful spiciness.

1/3 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup liquid (I used the drained dressing from the Wraps)
2 medium zucchinis, small spiralized
Salt & Pepper to taste.
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
Optional: any heated leftover meat. (I used chopped chicken from Sweet & Spicy Drumsticks)

Sauté the onion in 1 T. olive oil, 5 min.
Add the minced garlic, fennel seed, peas, and liquid, cook for an additional 5 min over low heat.
Add the zucchini noodles; toss and cook until heated through. Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper to taste. Toss with Parmesan as you serve.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 7/18/16?? by cjs (Here we go - this on...)
Jean, I got my spiralizer today! I hope to be able to play this weekend!

Also, your noodle dish looks and sounds really good!

My dinner is a C@H dish.

grilled cilantro fish in coconut broth with Thai Mango Salad
Cuisine for Two (shrimp cover) page 64-65
DOUBLE Broth!!!!!
Serves 2

FOR THE FISH—
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves and stems
1 clove garlic
3 Tbsp. lime juice, divided
Pinch of salt and red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 fresh halibut or grouper fillets (4–6 oz. each)
FOR THE BROTH—
2 Tbsp. minced shallots (4)
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger (4)
Minced zest of 1/2 a lemon (1)
11/2 tsp. vegetable oil (3)
1 cup light coconut milk (2)
3 Tbsp. low-sodium chicken broth (6)
1 Tbsp.sugar (2)
1 tsp. fish sauce (2)
1 serrano or Thai chile pepper, thinly sliced (2)
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper (1/2)
Torn fresh mint leaves
Coat grill with nonstick spray; preheat to medium-high.
Mince cilantro and garlic with1 Tbsp. lime juice, salt, and pepper flakes in a food processor. Drizzle in olive oil and transfer mixture to a shallow bowl. Add fish and marinate for 15 minutes.
Sauté shallots, ginger, and zest in vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat until soft, 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, broth, sugar, fish sauce, and remaining 2 Tbsp. lime juice. Simmer broth 2 minutes. Stir in chile pepper. Reduce heat and keep broth warm. Remove fish from marinade, discarding remaining marinade.
Grill fish over direct heat, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn fillets over, cover, and cook until firm, 5–7 minutes more. To serve, divide broth between two bowls, add fish, and garnish with bell pepper and mint leaves.
Per serving: 462 calories; 36g total fat (23g sat); 42mg chol; 14g carb; 318mg sodium; 2g fiber; 26g protein

thai mango salad
This cool, crisp salad complements hot fish fresh off the grill.
Makes 2 servings (1 cup) Total time: 10 minutes
1 Tbsp. lime juice
11/2 tsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
Salt to taste
1/2 cup peeled, pitted, thinly sliced underripe mango
1/2 cup julienned jicama
2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. red or green chile pepper, sliced
Combine lime juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, and salt in a bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Toss mango, jicama, cilantro, and chile pepper in dressing. Serve salad at room temperature.
Per serving: 53 calories; 0g total fat (0g sat); 0mg chol; 14g carb; 25mg sodium; 2g fiber; 1g protein

[Image: 52ff4bb95fe642a1bc65171f57b76c1c.jpg]

I can not tell you anything about the Mango Salad. We didn't make it. I'm ditching the rice and green beans. Just too hot. I spent part of my afternoon cubing a honey dew. cantaloupe, and seedless watermelon for a melon salad later this week. And we obviously have plenty of melon, so we'll have some mixed melon on the side instead.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.