Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone tonight??

Tonight our Motley crew is gathering for a BBQ. I'm taking on old favorite Rice & Corn salad filled tomatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I was going to make Daphne's cilantro grilled fish and rice but we are going to try a new (and supposedly good and inexpensive) Chinese restaurant for lunch so I think I'll put this dinner on hold.

I'm thinking about two things - either philly cheesesteak sloppy joes or linguine with clams.

Unfortunately (or maybe it is fortunately) Tony was let go from his job yesterday after working his rear end off for them 12 hours a day for 4 years so we are on a budget, big time. But we feel we need to get out of the house for lunch today.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16?? by Trixxee (I was going to make ...)
WOW!! Oh Trixxiee, what a fu(king shock that would be. I'm so sorry to hear that. I remember when Roy was let go in the 80s and geez, did his ego take a hit. All I could do was love and hug him. The relationship you two have will see you thru this time, also.

As it turned out - we were so much better off for this experience and move.

Just remember: Knockers Up!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16?? by cjs (WOW!! Oh Trixxiee, w...)
Oh, Trixxee! I'm so sorry for both of you. It really is such a kick in the head when that happens. We have both been there so I can really relate to the shock and disappointment you both must feel. Hold each other tight. You really will come through this eventually and very possibly be better off in the long run. In the meantime, you know that we are all here for you.

Dinner tonight is being made in the Instant Pot. I am really loving this new toy. The recipe is another one from "Emeril's Cooking with Power" and it's called Chicken and Onions Braised in a Creamy Wine Sauce. If anyone wants the recipe, I will be typing it up anyway so don't mind posting it.

Orzo and green peas on the side to go with.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16?? by Mare749 (Oh, Trixxee! [img]/u...)
Thanks guys, you're the best! Yes, imagine my surprise when I heard the garage door go up yesterday around 3:00pm. I said what are you doing home? He said why do you think? I said because you have a late conference call and want to do it from here so you don't hit the traffic. He said no. Well, then I knew. Things are going from bad to ugly there but honestly, he's the glue that holds one division together but now we suspect they are trying to do away with the entire division. Tony earned a really nice salary and I think they're starting with those types of people so their quarterly numbers/expenses look better.

I feel a little bit easier about it today but didn't sleep a wink last night. A fed ex package already arrived this morning (which makes me think this has been in the works) with his last check and surprisingly, a severance offer if he signs a bunch of documents saying he won't sue them for anything and they he won't disparage the company online, in writing, verbally, etc.

Tomorrow I'll get him to get the unemployment claim started.

I was joking with a friend that my biggest fear is I'll have to start buying TWO BUCK CHUCK (which is 2 1/2 bucks now). Trying to keep it light here.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16?? by Trixxee (Thanks guys, you're ...)
"Trying to keep it light here."

That's half the battle.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16?? by cjs ("Trying to keep it l...)
We will be having the Bistecca Sandwich with roasted pepper mayonnaise but with Blane's twist. I'm serving the steak on a salad. I'm taking half the sauce out to serve over the steak, but I'll add olive oil to the rest to dress the salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tuesday's Dinner, 7/19/16?? by cjs ("Trying to keep it l...)
Quote:

"Trying to keep it light here."

That's half the battle.

That really is half the battle as well as keeping a positive attitude that a better situation for your family is right around the corner.

You may surprise yourself with how frugal you can be when you need to, especially when you know it's temporary.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."