Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air...
  Re: (...)
I am so sorry to hear your Hubby got laid off.

After 34+ years with RCA/GE/Martin Marietta/Lockheed Martin, so did mine this past week.

It's a shock, disbelief, and anger all rolled into one. I could care less about the severance pay, my Husband did not deserve this. I will be sad going into the building to do my testing and he's not there to say Hi to. It's where we met.

My heart is out to you. *HUGS*!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by BarbaraS (I am so sorry to hea...)
Oh crap! Barbara, I'm so feeling your pain, also, WTH! You both seem to work so hard. It just boggles the mind! Again to you - Knockers up, Sweetie!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by cjs (Oh crap! Barbara, I'...)
Oh god, I am so sorry Barbara! This is going to be a challenging transition for you guys. 34 years!

Isn't the anger amazing? It is a terrible blow to one's self worth. I hope in time we all are doing better.

My heart goes out to you too - even bigger! How is he handling it? No doubt still in shock and butterflies in the stomach.
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by Trixxee (Oh god, I am so sorr...)
Oh Trixxee and Barbara! This is shocking news for you both, I'm sure! While we never suffered the finality of a job, the end of the housing bubble almost killed our business! And health issues of the two main workhorses last year didn't help! So I know what it's like to tighten the budget to get by. We are just now seeing a turn around in business and hope to get our heads above water for the first time in years. I'm sure you both will come around, too! You will both be in my prayers.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Trixxee and Barba...)
Barbara, that is so awful! Don't you wonder how those companies can get away with that? I am so sorry you are going through this, too.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by Mare749 (Barbara, that is so ...)
Yep, it's so disheartening. Someone at HR with a "formula" calculates who goes, who stays. They figure they can hire someone at half the salary and get the same work done? Yeah, they'll see.

Trixxee, I don't know what else to say but I hope things work out for you and Hubby somehow.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by BarbaraS (Yep, it's so dishear...)
One of the very first things in Tony's separation agreement was that he could not sue them for anything if he wanted the meager severance pay. First thing mentioned - could not sue for age discrimination. Now I'm wondering if his age sure did have something to do with it. Same thing Barbara, maybe they want to hire someone younger at a lower rate but without the experience. And while yesterday I said it's a blow to your self worth, this morning I realized that the fact that he has no job is a blow to the very security of your family.

I'm scared.

Barabara, may good things happen for you guys. And Daphne, I sure am glad that things turned around for you. That recession was scary, wasn't it?
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by Trixxee (One of the very firs...)
Trixxee, it is scary - for you because you still have Michael at home. Our kids were raised and gone, so it was scary to us in a different way...would age be against him (us)? It turned out not to be, and with the three of you so close, plus your family support system, you'll make it thru this.

It's going to be a trying time and you'll probably have many holes bitten in your tongue to keep from saying things, but, just count to 10, go in the bathroom and scream or cry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by Trixxee (One of the very firs...)
Thanks for the kind words Trixxee, and right back at you.

And what Jean said...

Barbara
  Re: Re: Well Trixxee, Something's In the Air... by BarbaraS (Thanks for the kind ...)
Trixxee and Barbara, I am so sorry! That is really upsetting.

About twelve years ago we experienced a layoff as well...the start-up my husband was working for didn't get the funding they were counting on and John was laid off while we were on vacation. Talk about a welcome home! Yuck! It was really terrifying (we really didn't have the funds put aside that we should have), but actually turned out for the best. I hope the same is true for both of you. Hugs!!