Forum Dinner - Review Due Mon., 8/8/16
  Re: (...)
Been a lot of heavy goings on lately and we need to have some fun. So, how about a dinner review?? As I was going thru one of the For Two publications, I saw a fun dinner that maybe all of us could have a good time with.

Mexican Lasagna (It's really not a lasagna, but similar ingredients layered with corn tortillas - more like a tostada
And for dessert - Nutty "Fried" Ice Cream - just ice cream balls rolled in a mix of pecan, corn cereal, sugar, & cinnamon. Drizzled with honey and topped with a maraschino cherry.

Easy, cheap, fast, all around fun.

I don't have these recipes on line, so if anyone does have this one online, could you post the recipes?? If not, I'll type them up.
Cuisine For Two, Summer 2016, page 43

Anyone in??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Forum Dinner - Review Due Mon., 8/8/16 by cjs (Been a lot of heavy ...)
Absolutely! Sounds like a delicious menu! I don't think that I have that book, but will check.

Sorry, I don't.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner Review???? by Mare749 (Absolutely! Sounds ...)
I'll type them up later this morning.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner Review???? by cjs (I'll type them up la...)
Jean, I have several of those and love them, but I don't have one from this year. I didn't even know they published one this year. Is it worth buying?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner Review???? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, I have several...)
YES! I highlighted more than I didn't.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner Review???? by cjs (YES! I highlighted m...)
I would be interested!
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner Review???? by Trixxee (I would be intereste...)
Let’s go for it – Review date will be Monday, August 8th. Here are the recipes:

Mexican Lasagna
Makes 2 servings – time: 25 min.
[Image: Jul%2024%20Mexican%20Lasagna_zpsvf43t0mq.jpg]

Brown:
8 oz. ground sirloin
1/4 cup diced onion
2 T. tomato paste
1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
1 tsp. hot chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
Combine:
1/2 cup purchased salsa
1/2 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
Broil:
4 corn tortillas (5-inch)
Sour cream, sliced scallions, sliced black olives, and sliced jalapeno

Preheat broiler to high with rack 6” from element; place baking sheet in oven.

Brown sirloin with onion, tomato paste, garlic, chili powder and oregano in a sauté pan over med. high heat until sirloin is nearly cooked through, 5 min. Reduce heat to med. low and cook sirloin 5 min. more; season with salt & pepper.

Combine salsa, corn, beans and half the cheddar.

Broil tortillas on hot baking sheet until crisp, about 4 min. Top 2 tortillas with sirloin mixture, remaining 2 oz. cheddar and remaining 2 tortillas, then spoon salsa mixture on top.

Broil lasagna until cheese is melted and bubbly, 4 min.
Garnish lasagna with sour cream, scallions, olives, and jalapenos.

Nutty “Fried” Ice Cream
Enjoy creamy ice cream with a crunchy exterior without ever having to break out the deep fryer. Makes 2 servings – time: 25 min.
[Image: Jul%2024%20Fried%20Ice%20cream_zpssd557mrg.jpg]

1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
1/4 cup corn cereal (such as Chex)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Honey
Maraschino cherries

Scoop ice cream into two 1/2-cup balls; freeze 10 min.
Process pecans, cereal, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor until pecans are finely ground; transfer to a shallow bowl.
Roll ice cream balls in pecan mixture to coat, refreeze at least 5 minutes to set coating. Drizzle honey over ice cream and top with cherries.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner - Review Due Mon., 8/8/16 by cjs (Let’s go for it – Re...)
Funny, I lacked two dinners to have two weeks of meals planned. Just found one of them!
And I have everything to make it other than the tortillas (only keep flour ones on hand) and corn, which I had planned to pick up at the kid's stand later this week anyway. Cool!

Oh, and the ice cream that I will have to sneak off to get!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner - Review Due Mon., 8/8/16 by Gourmet_Mom (Funny, I lacked two ...)
Great idea, Jean! I love the menu.
  Re: Re: Forum Dinner - Review Due Mon., 8/8/16 by karyn (Great idea, Jean! I ...)
Oh good! I think it's a fun one also.
www.achefsjourney.com