Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun
  Re: (...)
Hope everyone will feel like participating in this review dinner. Since so many of us have hectic schedules these days, I chose this menu for it's simplicity in preparation.

Let's post our reviews on Tuesday, Sept. 6 since Monday is a holiday.

BALSAMIC STEAK STIR-FRY with broccolini

"This fork and knife stir-fry is great for a simple weeknight meal, but is elegant enough for date night, too."

8 oz. broccolini, trimmed and halved on the bias, blanched
1/3 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 T. low sodium soy sauce
2 T. honey
2 tsp. each, cornstarch and toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. each, grated fresh ginger and garlic
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. each, red pepper flakes and minced orange zest
1 8 oz. beef tenderloin filet, halved crosswise and lengthwise, seasoned with salt and black pepper
2 T. olive oil
1 cup sliced onions

Blanch broccolini in a pot of boiling salted water, 3 minutes; drain and dry in a salad spinner.

Whisk together broth, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, Dijon, pepper flakes, and zest.

Sear medallions in 2 T. olive oil in a sauce pan over high heat until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

Add onion to same pan and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add broth mixture and boil until thickened. Stir in broccolini and cook 1 minute. Return medallions to pan and coat in sauce.

Serve stir-fry over Scallion Rice.

SCALLION RICE:

¼ cup sliced scallion whites and light greens
1 tsp. mustard seeds
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 T. olive oil
½ c. dry jasmine rice
¾ c. water
¼ c. sliced scallion greens

Sauté scallion whites and light greens, mustard seeds, and salt in oil in a saucepan over medium heat until scallions soften, 1-2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add water, bring to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to low and simmer rice 15 minutes. Remove rice from heat, let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Stir in scallion greens just before serving.

Servings: 2
Source: Cuisine at Home, Issue No. 119
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun by Mare749 (Hope everyone will f...)
Sounds good, Maryann - I'm in
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun by cjs (Sounds good, Maryann...)
Perfect choice Maryann! Carylann already had it down for Saturday.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun by losblanos1 (Perfect choice Marya...)
I am such a flake when it comes to deadlines that I will just put it this way - sounds delicious and I hope to make it soon.

Thanks for posting the recipe - I haven't received my issue yet.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun by Trixxee (I am such a flake wh...)
Yeah! Tony bought the beef for me today (though I'll be using Costco's "prime" sirloin rather than filet). I plan on making it tomorrow!
  Re: Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun by Trixxee (Yeah! Tony bought t...)
Since I've been on an Asian kick lately, I'm in, too! I'm not swearing to meeting the deadline, but I intend to try! And I will definitely be making it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Review, everyone is welcome to join the fun by Gourmet_Mom (Since I've been on a...)
Yay! I am so glad that you are all okay with what I picked!

Anyone else who would like to join in, please do! These review dinners are a lot of fun. All you have to do is make the recipe and post your review on the review date, which is Sept.6 this time.

Pix are appreciated but not a requirement for participation. Just enjoy a special meal and share your thoughts.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."