Mystery box on MasterChef Australia
  Re: (...)
Here's an interesting one: MasterChef Australia had the following Mystery Box:

[Image: zdqXcvl.jpg]

Pork belly, apples, dates, onions, corn, cinnamon, sweetened condensed milk, and rum.

The thing is, they had to use ALL of those ingredients in ONE dish and the only other ingredients they could use were the staples: Plain flour, self-raising flour, milk, cream, sugar, 00 flour, vinegar, and eggs.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by labradors (Here's an interestin...)
Oh, wouldn't those be fun to play with!! the only thing I would wish for is something for heat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by cjs (Oh, wouldn't those b...)
Of all the random things in this basket, I think the sweetened condensed milk has me most stumped!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by Gourmet_Mom (Of all the random th...)
Maybe a caramel/rum sauce drizzle to go over crispy fried pork belly? Could even put dates and onions in it, then strain before using.

Very thought provoking, Labs. Anxious to hear what others might do.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by Mare749 (Maybe a caramel/rum ...)
“Pork belly, apples, dates, onions, corn, cinnamon, sweetened condensed milk, and rum.
The thing is, they had to use ALL of those ingredients in ONE dish and the only other ingredients they could use were the staples: Plain flour, self-raising flour, milk, cream, sugar, 00 flour, vinegar, and eggs.”

Can’t get this ‘basket’ out of my mind – thinking of a ‘salsa’ using the apples, dates, corn, onions cinnamon, vinegar, touch of rum

Sear scored pork belly and set aside. In pan, sauté onions, tad of dates until carmelized, deglaze with vinegar & rum – top with the pork belly and braise.

Remove pork belly, add to the ‘goop’, just enough condensed milk (thinned with a little water (?) )and rum to make a sauce. Spoon sauce on plate, top with a portion of pork belly and the ‘salsa’.

Gee, that sounds good. How fun, Labs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by cjs (“Pork belly, apples,...)
I forget exactly how she used some of those ingredients, but one of the contestants did something with at least the apples and the condensed milk in two small, hemisphere molds, making a complete sphere once it had set. She then did the same with meringue in two larger hemisphere molds, hollowing out the middle of each to fit the smaller, apple/condensed-milk sphere. She also cooked the pork belly until it was crispy enough to crumble, then rolled the filled meringue ball in that.

How's that for creativity?
  Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by labradors (I forget exactly how...)
Good Lord - way above my imagination, that's for sure!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by cjs (Good Lord - way abov...)
Very creative, Labs.

How is business these days? Have you added anything new?
Maryann

Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by Mare749 (Very creative, Labs....)
Added mini apple cakes, which have been doing very well.

Also recently decided to make some homemade jam out of some guanábana pulp I had in the freezer and then used that as the filling for some sweet empanadas.

Also experimenting with rusks. They seem to be good, but I need someone from South Africa to tell me if they are as they should be.
  Re: Re: Mystery box on MasterChef Australia by labradors (Added mini apple cak...)
Glad it's still going well for you. What are you doing with the rusks? I don't think I know what they are.
Maryann