Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

I made one of those 'everything but the kitchen sink' pasta salads yesterday, that will feed us for a week I think! It's so hard to stop adding when making a salad like this.

For our 'later' snack, I found a French Bread Topping 'thing' combining burger, catsup, onion, cornflakes and evap. milk and baking in the oven. Roy may have to have a little bowl of soup to go with, but it sounds plenty filling to me. We'll see.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Buffalo wings on the grill and corn on the cob.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by Trixxee (Buffalo wings on the...)
This topping for the French bread is such a simple nothing list of ingredients, but I just put it together and it is delicious. I used my smokey balsamic ketchup which I'm sure helps the flavor. Anxious to try it on the bread later today.

LATER - FRENCH BREAD SANDWICH
(I made 1/2 the recipe, but added the full 1/2 cup of cornflakes)

1 lb hamburger
1 tsp Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup cornflakes, crushed
1/2 cup evaporated milk

1. Mix and spread on French bread cut in half lengthwise or in serving size pieces.
2. Place on cookie sheet and bake in center of oven 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by cjs (This topping for the...)
Looking for inspiration 😊
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by luvnit (Looking for inspirat...)
That looks interesting Jean. I may have to try this one.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by luvnit (That looks interesti...)
What was your name again, lady??????????????????????????

Welcome back!! We miss you around here.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by cjs (What was your name ...)
French Bread Sandwich – such an easy-[censored] no-brainer, but so very tasty!! This will be repeated often, that’s for sure. And, it’s so filling, Roy didn’t even need a bowl of soup to go with!! Next time instead of pre-slicing the bread partway, I’ll hollow it out a little to keep the topping in place a little better.

[Image: Aug%2029%20Freanch%20Bread%20Sandwich_zpsmnc58lwb.jpg]
[Image: Aug%2029%20French%20Bread%20Sancwich%20w...o23xxt.jpg]

And, this one is Carylann’s fault!!! Her darn post on facebook tempted me too much!!! I didn’t ‘gild the lilly’ – no chips added, I use some nuts and crushed cornflakes and I didn’t frost it…..more points for me.
[Image: Aug%2029%20Chocolate%20Banana%20Bread_zpsg2eruuhj.jpg]
BREAD - CHOCOLATE - BANANA - Triple Chocolate Banana Bread

1 ½ cups flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ cup butter
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
2 eggs
4 small bananas, mashed (approx. 1⅓ cups)
½ cup chocolate chips
-------------------
Topping
¼ cup half & half
2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
1 tsp butter
½ tsp vanilla
6 Tbs chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
2. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy. Stir in eggs and bananas. Add banana mixture and chocolate chips to flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
4. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Topping
6. Heat half & half and brown sugar over medium heat until brown sugar has dissolved and tiny bubbles start to form on the edges. Stir in vanilla and butter until melted and turn off heat. Add chocolate chips and do not stir, let sit 2-3 minutes.
7. Whisk chocolate chips until smooth. Cool completely and drizzle over bread.
: http://www.spendwithpennies.com/triple-c...ana-bread/

----
Daphne this French Bread Sandwich is a good one for you to keep in mind for a fast last minute dinner. I prepped the burger plus other ingred. early in the day, but even at last minute, all you do is brown the meat, add the other 'stuff' and bake for 25 minutes while you have your first glass of wine.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by cjs (French Bread Sandwic...)
Looks delicious, Jean.

I'm still adjusting to the back to work schedule, so I went with a tried and true recipe that we really like... Chipotle Chicken Kebabs with Avocado Cream Sauce..

Tomorrow, Blue Apron is doing my meal planning.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by karyn (Looks delicious, Jea...)
What a God-send this will be for you, Karyn
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 8/29/16?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
WOW! 2 days off in a row. Bob put 15 lbs of pork butt in the smoker at 7am . . . it was done enough to eat at 7:30. I made my usual cole slaw to go with, and some Carolina Red sauce.

One of the surprises was the beans in the Anova.

1 cup beans
1/2 onion peeled
2 (or 3) crushed cloves of garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp grnd cumin (my addition)
3 cups water
Combine in a large ziplock bag, seal (carefully) using the "Archimedes" method. Cook at 190 for 6 hours.

The beans were perfectly cooked, every bean tender yet whole. When they were done I put them is a saucepan to reduce the liquid a bit and added a diced jalapeno and a bit more salt. I know, a lot of time . . . but each bean was perfect and I didn't have to stir once!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!