Winter BLT Sandwiches
  Re: (...)
I Love BLTs, but I don’t like to make them in the winter because of the non-flavored tomatoes which are available. Recently I saw an idea around this on a blog or something from Martha Stewart – a Winter BLT. Tossing a can of drained diced tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, s&p and roasting at a high temp until the tomatoes are dry and beginning to brown. (I’ll be adding more herbs/seasonings next time) You use this as a spread adding to the layers for the sandwich. And, I’m happy to say, after the fact, it does work. At least I would prefer this method in the winter than to go without or using accessible tomatoes.
After roasting, chop the heck out of the tomatoes to make a nice spread consistency.
[Image: Sept%207%20Tomatoes%20for%20Winter%20BLT...vnnna4.jpg]
Starting with homemade bread and my friend, Chef David Nelson’s Canadian Bacon didn’t hurt the flavors, I can tell you. Plus, we love the addition of a thin layer of peanut butter….I know I just lost a few people on this, but don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it.
Herb bread
[Image: sept20920003_zpspgxfn0tf.jpg]

Making the BLT
[Image: sept20920004_zpslze67ast.jpg]

Winter BLT
[Image: sept20920006_zpsgt3obqlb.jpg]

And, you have a BLT that is acceptable until summer is back and all those delicious Heirloom tomatoes are to be had again!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by cjs (I Love BLTs, but I d...)
Hmmm, that's a pretty fine idea. Thanks, Jean.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by Mare749 (Hmmm, that's a prett...)
I have 3 more little pkgs. in the freezer - anxious to try with regular bacon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by cjs (I have 3 more little...)
I just remembered something that I tried last winter. Ron LOVES stewed tomatoes with his mac and cheese. We had a few l/o from the night before. I made a grilled ham and cheese the next day for lunch and added some drained (on a paper towel) tomatoes to my sandwich and really liked it.
Maryann

Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by Mare749 (I just remembered so...)
similar option, I'm thinking - it is a good combination.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by cjs (similar option, I'm ...)
Hi! I popped in to let you guys know I'm alive but not well. My back started going Tuesday and my sciatic nerve woke me up at 5:30 Thursday morning with a vengeance! Worst attack EVER! I'm mending, but slowly. William has done a decent job feeding me, although Thursday night, I was in so much pain, the thought of food made me feel sick.

But today, I managed to get off the bed without stifling a scream! So that's progress.

Jean, this is just the coolest idea EVER!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by Gourmet_Mom (Hi! I popped in to ...)
Ouch! Take care of you, Daphne!
Maryann

Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by Mare749 (Ouch! [img]/ubbthrea...)
Oh Daphne, I've gone thru something similar when all the kids were still home and 4 or 5 days are a complete blank..I have no idea how they ate or took care of themselves - you all know how little Roy cooks

I'm so sorry to hear you're going thru this - Take care and let the family take care of you for a while.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by cjs (Oh Daphne, I've gone...)
Thanks, you guys. I am letting most things go at home and work, but I have managed to communicate with the guys and customers by phone, text and email. So it hasn't been a total loss. Although, I couldn't tell you what I actually did Thursday. That day is a complete blur.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Winter BLT Sandwiches by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, you guys. I...)
I love this idea. I bet it works beautifully!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura