Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16??
  Re: (...)
Feel guilty for not starting 'the' thread, so......... Maryann and Trixxee, what are you having for dinner????

Freezer 'stuff' for us and our later snack will be ham & herbed cream cheese roll ups - that will allow us to have dessert! leftovers Biscotti cookies
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16?? by cjs (Feel guilty for not ...)
I've got William thinking about dinner. Not sure what he wants to help with. I think I could pull off a few simple dishes with help. My back is definitely better, but I don't want to over do it and set off the sciatic nerve again. We'll see.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (I've got William thi...)
Okay, I texted him several ideas and he chose the most unlikely protein. I knew ribs were on sale, but one of the choices was to barbeque either ribs or chicken. There were a couple other options as well. He came home with ribs, fresh corn and fresh sugar snap peas. Blew my mind!!!

I'm going to sauté the peas briefly and very simply. He will grill the ribs, and I'll let him choose to grill or boil the corn. Granted, he LOVES these peas! But he chose the ribs and corn for me. So sweet!

Funny story about the sugar snaps, we were at a friend's small wedding reception at their house and the sugar snaps were part of the crudités. I must point out that alcohol was involved here so you won't think he's a complete person. Anyway, he spotted some sugar snaps in a dish on the counter and decided those looked plumper and juicier. So he grabbed one, dipped it and went to take a bite. They were FAKE! LOL! He was caught in the act by several people, including the bride. Everyone had a good laugh, including him.

Anyway, a few weeks later, the bride showed up at our house with a cute little basket of some of the same fake sugar snaps she happened to scrounge up. They have a place of prominence in my kitchen and bring a smile to my face every time I look at them. We'll probably have a laugh about this story later when we eat.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I texted him s...)
That's funny, Daphne!! Keep feeling better.

My claim to fame about being able to stand for 8 to 10 hours a day (as opposed to being able to walk far) does not hold water any longer!! Spent the morning making batch after batch of pesto using different ingred/nuts/etc. my body is in big hurt mode. darn, I think I'm getting olderly.

But...I've got some great pesto in the freezer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16?? by cjs (That's funny, Daphne...)
Jean, aren't you paying attention?!?! I told you my back was going out Tuesday night, but I chose to go to work Wednesday anyway. That set off my sciatic nerve.

Now look at you! Over doing it, too! Age has nothing to do with it! But I bet you have some great pesto! I just hope you can walk tomorrow.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16?? by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, aren't you pay...)
We just had a quick dinner of BLT's in between the girls volleyball games, then had to be at Tommy's birthday party at 6:30 for cake and ice cream. Busy day and two games again tomorrow.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16?? by Mare749 (We just had a quick ...)
We don't seem to learn, do we. Took a couple Advil (or whatever is in the bathroom) and slept like a baby, tho.

Maryann, I sure miss being close enough for the grand- & great-grand-kids games. Learned soccer from one of our granddaughters - it wasn't played when the kids were in school. Love it now.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 9/10/16?? by cjs ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Jean, Andrew told me a doctor told him that Advil was good for colds and allergy symptoms and headaches, but Aleve was better for muscle and nerve pain. I always keep Advil in my bag, but William had Aleve in the van. I am sold on the idea. It helped a lot! Granted, this was after the sciatic attack had diminished. I don't think anything would have helped that. But the ach and tightness that comes after eased with the Aleve. But I'm glad you got a good night's rest and feel better today.

Maryann, I love hearing about your family outings! I am so envious!
Daphne