Somebody's birthday dinner review for September
  Re: (...)
Okay, let's try this again. I picked something that I knew we would like. The comment in the recipe says you can sub chicken if you don't like seafood. I think chunks of cod would be delicious as well.

The two recipes were on the same page, so I'm guessing they are meant to be served together, but I might do them separately and save the bruschetta to have with a dinner salad one night.

Please join in and post your pix and reviews on Monday, October 3rd.

SHRIMP SCAMPI LINGUINE with tomatoes & capers

If you are not a fan of seafood, you can substitute one pound of cubed, boneless skinless chicken breast, just be sure to cook it a little longer.

8 oz. dry linguine
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 cup each dry white wine and low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup seeded and diced Roma tomatoes
½ cup chopped scallions
2 tsp. minced lemon zest
2 Tbsp. each, capers and fresh lemon juice

1. Cook linguine in a pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain.

2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until firm and opaque, 1 minute per side; transfer to a plate.

3. Add garlic and pepper flakes to skillet; cook 1 minute. Deglaze skillet with wine and broth, bring to a boil, and reduce by half, 3-4 minutes. Whisk in butter, a cube at a time, letting each cube melt fully before adding the next.

4. Toss in tomatoes, scallions, zest, capers, lemon juice, shrimp and linguine and serve immediately.

Servings: 4
---------------------------------------------

PROSCIUTTO BRUSCHETTA with cheese & scallions

For the best flavor, look for an Italian shredded cheese blend that includes mozzarella, Parmesan, provolone, Romano, and Asiago.

1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 3 oz. packge prosciutto, diced
2 demi-baguettes, sliced in half horizontally and brush with extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
2 Tbsp. minced scallions
1 tsp. minced lemon zest

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with foil.

2. Crisp prosciutto in oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, 3-4 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and let cool briefly.

3. Combine prosciutto with cheese, scallions, and zest; divide among baguette slices.

4. Bake bruschetta until cheese melts, 8-10 minutes; slice each in half and serve.

Servings: 4
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Somebody's birthday dinner review for September by Mare749 (Okay, let's try this...)
Yeah!! Happy, Happy Birthday, Somebody!!! Let's do this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Somebody's birthday dinner review for September by cjs (Yeah!! Happy, Happy...)
Darn, I don't think lobster has enough flavor to sub here, so guess I'll stick with shrimp.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Somebody's birthday dinner review for September by cjs (Darn, I don't think ...)
Right up our alley! Now to find time to make it!

And shrimp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Somebody's birthday dinner review for September by Gourmet_Mom (Right up our alley! ...)
I'm not going to make the deadline....still waiting for shrimp prices to come down. I'll check the seafood market next week if the prices at the store don't get down to reasonable. But I'm anxious to make this!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Somebody's birthday dinner review for September by Gourmet_Mom (I'm not going to mak...)
I'm not going to make the deadline myself and I posted the recipe! Had it planned for dinner one night this past week and Ron made a face. Wasn't in the mood for it. I will have to do it another time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."