Ideas for red serrano chiles?
  Re: (...)
First, let me just say that my "garden" has had both success and failure this year. Once again, the peppers are doing well, but I may as well just pull up the tomato plants.

Turning to the peppers...

I finally picked more than just a couple serranos. Well, for Taco Tuesday, I picked four that were red. Chopped up in the taco meat, they were delicious. It was the first time I had even seen serranos red, let alone eaten them. They were so yummy I decided to pick the rest of the ones that had turned red - 18 of the beauties:

[Image: WO3Fgw0.jpg]

(that left about 30 green ones still on the plant).

Now I'm trying to decide what to make with them, other than just a hot sauce or salsa. Have any of you used red serrano chiles before? Any ideas?

Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Ideas for red serrano chiles? by labradors (First, let me just s...)
Do you think they can be used as green ones are??

Stir fry chicken with veggies in a fajita
have you added them to a chili for the heat?
add them to frittatas
I've added them to potato salad, soups, etc.

Goat Cheese Dressing – to go with beet & spinach salad – a Chef Dave Nelson idea

1 cup fresh soft goat cheese
1/2 cup half and half
1 serrano chile, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
fresh cracked pepper
1 scallion, chopped

Place all the ingredients except scallions in a blender and process until smooth. Sprinkle scallions on top and chill.

add to anything you're going to pickle - asparagus.....

One of our favorites - Fried Catfish Rolls, an old Food Network recipe
[Image: catfish%20roll_zpsdgqv74hq.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fried Catfish Rolls

Vegetable oil -- for frying
1 jalapeno or serrano peppers -- diced (remove seeds for less heat) (1 to 2)
2 scallions -- roughly chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon pickling liquid -- plus sliced pickles for garnish (1 to 2)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup instant flour (such as Wondra)
1 pound catfish fillets -- cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 count package miniature potato buns (do not separate) -- ¥
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted
1 large ripe tomato -- thinly sliced
1 stalk celery -- thinly sliced

Heat about 2 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees.

Combine the jalapeno, scallions, mayonnaise and pickling liquid in a blender; puree until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the catfish in the flour; shake off any excess in a strainer. Working in batches, fry the fish until lightly golden and just cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; let cool. Preheat the broiler.

While the fish cools, divide the buns into four 3-roll rows (they'll look like hot dog buns). Split open down the center; brush the tops and insides with the melted butter; broil until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Toss the fried catfish with the spiced mayonnaise; divide among the buns. Garnish with tomato, pickles and celery.

-----------------
Can you tell I love Serranos???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ideas for red serrano chiles? by cjs (Do you think they ca...)
Some of those look big enough to stuff. How about stuffing with cream cheese, wrapping with bacon and broiling in the oven? The red ones should be a little sweeter and less hot than green? We use the red to stuff with asparagus when pickling for heat and color.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Ideas for red serrano chiles? by Old Bay (Some of those look b...)
I wish we had a "love" icon.................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com