Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by redbedhead (Chicken enchiladas a...)
Red, I love that you let your daughter cook!  All four of my grandbabies have spent time in the kitchen with me and we all love that time together.  I was astonished the last time Tommy and Alyssa were here overnight and Tommy, who just turned 8, made his own scrambled eggs! 

We went out for cocktails and nibbles tonight.  Mostly cocktails. Blush
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by cjs (Well, here we go - B...)
Tonight I am making a Brazillian Shrimp Stew.  Michael has been staying after school for an extra hour all week because he's doing so poorly in Calculus and by the time I pick him I've lost that hour that I usually start dinner.  This I can prep and then it will come together pretty quickly.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...tew-107419
Photo    Re: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by cjs (Well, here we go - B...)
One of these days the calculus will just click in his mind and off he'll go, Trixxee. Good luck to him.

I’m sure I’ve never said this before (  Rolleyes  ), but this is one of the best dishes I’ve made. Nothing spectacular, just darn good flavors. Don’t know why I’ve never done a Lobster melt before – I’ve always used crab. But, using lobster added a sweetness to the melt. The method I used was to poach the tail for 4 minutes, then brush with butter and broil for another 4 to 6 minutes. The meat was just perfectly done – moist, tender, and a butter sweetness, that is just exceptional.
[Image: Oct%205%20Lobster%20Melt%201_zpsrxmryv3e.jpg]" />[Image: Oct%205%20Lobster%20Melt%20bite_zps7k0nzgtn.jpg]" />

[url=
<font]And, our later ‘snack’ was super, also – it was an idea for an appetizer, but just adding the topping to slices of toast and heating for a minute or two made for a great snack – feta combined with minced garlic & basil and topped with fresh basil.[/url]
[Image: Oct%205%20Feta%20Bruchetta%201_zpsbkcbtqfk.jpg]" />
Well PIddle, why are the pictures not working again--they worked yesterday!!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I never did get pictures to work.  I can't wait for you to get them to work.  I am interested in seeing this delightful sounding meal!

I'm grilling chicken leg quarters that were on sale really cheap at my local store.  I haven't decided if I'll add BBQ sauce or not, since I plan to cook extra for sandwiches or wraps at a later date.  I will either make coleslaw or steamed cabbage to go with and probably bake a couple small potatoes.
Tomorrow I'm prepping a couple meals ahead just in case the power goes out this weekend.  Things are looking good, but I figure it won't hurt to be prepared.  If the power doesn't go out, I'll just have an easy cooking weekend.   Cool
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Fingers crossed or you, Daphne!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by Gourmet_Mom (I never did get pict...)
Stay safe, Daphne, Labs, and Red!  Please check in when you can.

My brother made it in finally, so we are meeting them at one of those brick oven places for pizza, salad and whatever else looks good.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Relief, huh Maryann! Have fun

I'm going to try this again....then no more. But the Lobster melts were so good!!
Lobster Melt  - I’m sure I’ve never said this before, but this is one of the best dishes I’ve made. Nothing spectacular, just darn good flavors. Don’t know why I’ve never done a Lobster melt before – I’ve always used crab. But, using lobster added a sweetness to the melt. The method I used was to poach the tail for 4 minutes, then brush with butter and broil for another 4 to 6 minutes. The meat was just perfectly done – moist, tender, and a butter sweetness, that is just exceptional.

[Image: Oct%205%20Lobster%20Melt%201_zpsrxmryv3e.jpg]

and that special bite of lobster............ Heart
[Image: Oct%205%20Lobster%20Melt%20bite_zps7k0nzgtn.jpg]

And, our later ‘snack’ was super, also – it was an idea for an appetizer, but just adding the topping to slices of toast and heating for a minute or two made for a great snack – feta combined with minced garlic & basil and topped with fresh basil. Plus, who knew my 'house wine' - Black Box Shiraz was so tasty with the bruschetta.
[Image: Oct%205%20Feta%20Bruchetta%201_zpsbkcbtqfk.jpg]

I copied/pasted the 'http' thingee instead of the old way!!
www.achefsjourney.com
Be safe Daphne, Red and especially Rob, it looks like Florida is going to get hit the hardest.

Tonight it's Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and asparagus.
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread - 10/3 - 10/9/16 by losblanos1 (Be safe Daphne, Red ...)
Hanging in there. Landfall (of the eye) is expected to be about 5AM or 6AM down around Cape Canaveral, so we'll be feeling some of it by then (actually already a little wind and rain right now), with the stronger part getting to us later in the morning. I'll post more info later tomorrow or whenever it becomes possible again (presuming we'll be losing power and/or Internet).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Sounds like Labs and his mom are staying put?? I'd so be out of there.
www.achefsjourney.com