Hurricane Matthew can kiss it!
  Re: Hurricane Matthew can kiss it! by redbedhead (Here I am in Coastal...)
I'm so friggin' scared for all our friends and others thru this horrendous storm.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I am really hoping the damage and destruction is much less than originally thought.  Sometimes that happens.
  Re: RE: Hurricane Matthew can kiss it! by Trixxee (I am really hoping t...)
My brother and SIL arrived safe and sound with only a 2 hour delay. They said the plane was shaking as it took off. Sad
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Maryann, I was really worried they wouldn't get out.  I'm glad you came on to let us know.

It doesn't look like this thing is going to change course in time to totally miss us.  While tropical storm force winds are nothing to sneeze at, our greatest fear now is rain.  If this thing moves as slowly as I'm afraid it might, our biggest problem we face is the heavy rains.  The lake is really high, and the predicted seven to ten inches could be disastrous.  I have vivid memories of Hurricane Floyd and this one could be even worse.   Dodgy
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Evidently lots of you will be damaged by waters rather than the winds, huh, Daphne??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Yes, Floyd was a nightmare that lasted about a week.  They couldn't get the power going because everything was under water....going through houses.  You couldn't see the piers. The kids took our John boat down our road.  We were luckier than most.  The water never quite made it up to our house.
Daphne
  Re: RE: Hurricane Matthew can kiss it! by cjs (Evidently lots of yo...)
Well that's pretty scary, Daphne! What about your mom? Did you get her to change her mind and come to your house?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I would not want her here. We almost went to ride it out at Southport. And we still may have to go to a friends house or the high school if the limbs and trees start coming down. There are just too many trees in my yard.

Her neighbor is there and two of our closest friends are right down the street. Most likely, B. J. Will check on her. She has already asked Mom if she gets scared, to go to her house. Plus her church will open as a shelter, and I'm sure someone will go get her. I tried to convince her to go there before it gets started. In addition, she has a close relationship with the police and they are good about checking on the elderly residents during storms. Right now I feel pretty good about her situation.
Daphne
  Re: RE: Hurricane Matthew can kiss it! by cjs (I'm so friggin' scar...)
Ditto, ditto, ditto...

Barbara

That's good to hear Daphne, but still... Heart 

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Yes, it would have been better to be down there near her, but it would have been EXTREMELY uncomfortable staying at the office.  Staying with her is out of the question.....long story.  Let's just say she would be a good candidate for one of those hoarder shows.  She doesn't have space for us to stay at her house.

And bringing her here is more dangerous than leaving her where she is.  If I get too worried, I will convince her to call her best friend to go get her and take her to their house as they have already asked her to do. 

Plus, it's best we changed our mind about staying in Southport.  That original plan left Andrew here to watch over our house.  He's not here now, so we need to be here in case something happens so we can take care of emergencies.  If Mom has an emergency, we have people we can call if we can't get to her.

In the end, I'm more confident in her safety and the safety of her property than I do in my own.  I know having someone with her is an issue, but she has options.  And since we can't be in two places at one time, this is our best choice.  I will be less worried about her there than I would be if she was here.  Believe me, I've been through this before and know the dangers.  And I'm not sure I want to be here tomorrow.
Daphne