Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16
  Re: Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16 by cjs ([size=medium][b][u]D...)
I'm home today to catch up.  But I don't have transportation, so dinner is leftover pasta.  Hoping to get the Cobra back later this week, so my days stranded at home are almost over.  Just yesterday, I told William this car restoration has been about as expensive as a kitchen remodel!  Hopefully, this it's last big trip to the shop!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Trixxee, we'll keep you updated on all recipes from the new issue - never fear!!

Good News!!! - Nothing is broken in Roy's knee, bone spurs, and just the results of college sports and 'olderly' age.... Dr. says exercise it as much as he can stand. He was outraged at the pain medication our crappy Dr. prescribed for him - he said get off it now, it is highly addictive. Stupid SOB.

But, what we were both afraid was the Orthopedic would suggest knee replacement!! But, not needed. THANK GOD!!!

So, back to our lives, I'm hoping. He's going into his 5th week of this pain.

By the way, the Mango Chardonnay Vinaigrette is one of the best new dressing I've tasted in a long time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks Jean.

Glad Roy got himself checked out.  Was the pain medication hydrocodone/acetaminophen?  I think what that translates to is vicodin/tylenol.  That's what I had when I had my two ankle surgeries and my wisdom teeth removal.   After my first ankle surgery, I took a total of maybe 10 of them over the first 4 days and the doctor said I could take 2 every four hours.  I was paranoid about taking them at all.  After I stopped taking them I had what I would call are withdrawl symptoms.  Couldn't sleep, felt very uncomfortable.  Thank GOD that only lasted one night.  And that was after taking a mere 10 pills over 4 days.  Michael was also prescribed this medication for his wisdom teeth removal and he took 1 and 1 the day after surgery and after that I gave him advil. 

I have heard so many stories on the news about prescription pain killers leading to HEROIN!  Oy.
Will do, Trixxee!  With the shorter days, I'm hoping with good planning, I can get back to cooking more and trying new recipes.

So glad to hear the good news, Jean!  And way to go on catching the addictive meds!
Daphne
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16 by Gourmet_Mom (Will do, Trixxee!  W...)
Jean, that is good news that Roy does not need surgery, but bone spurs don't sound like a walk in the park either. Hope he gets some relief soon. Good thing he went to the doc and found out about the meds. Scary stuff.

Tonight we are having comfort food; hot meatloaf sandwiches and a cup of the best butternut squash soup I have ever made.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Wow, Trixxee - your experience with the medication is so eerily similar to Roy's - same dosage and time taking them. I was so afraid he might have withdrawals, too, but he seems o.k Don't know the name of the medication - he came home and washed them down the drain!!

Another chapter behind us, I hope!! Smile

Good news, Daphne about the less hours you'll have over your head. Get back to some fun cooking.

"a cup of the best butternut squash soup I have ever made." - I'm debating what to do with the butternut sq. I picked up the other day. Is this soup a Maryann creation or is there a recipe??

Thursday's Dinner - 10/20/16??

What's on everyone's menu for today??

I picked up so many goodies when I went grocery shopping I had to make a list and tape it to a cupboard so I wouldn't forget anything. I guess I'll throw a dart at the list and see what's what. (but, I do have a butternut squash and Maryann's soup is calling me.)

Blane, I hope you all didn't wash away last night - it rained over here all night - really rained!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Ended up making Beef & Pepper Stir-Fry and a Creole Corn casserole. The surprising flavor/texture of this meal was the celery added to the corn dish. Why don’t I use more celery???  It added just the right crispy component to all the creaminess of the rest of the ingredients. The stir-fry was not anything special, but sure perked up with the addition of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.

Craving chocolate  so badly yesterday, I made the Chocolate Chess Pie (but made as a pudding – no pie crust). So darn rich you can’t eat much, but boy did it satisfy the craving!!                    

www.achefsjourney.com
We had fried shrimp platters today for lunch at almost 2, so we just picked up some fresh fruit from the deli bar on the way home.

And I'd love to know about this soup, also, Maryann!
Daphne
T.G.I.F.  Dinner - 10/21/16??

What's on the menu for everyone today??
I have lots of leftovers from the stir-fry and creole corn, so I'm thinking a fusion dish - using the stir-fry for a Shepherd's pie kinda thing. And,  veggie patties from the corn.
www.achefsjourney.com
Wow - looks excellent Jean.

I'm up in the air.  I was thinking about shrimp scampi over angel hair but then I saw a Noble Pig post on "30 minute posole" that sounds kind of good.  Never thought to use the pre-cooked carnitas you can buy at the store for something like this.  Doh!

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/12/30-minute-posole/