Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16
  Re: Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16 by cjs ([size=medium][b][u]D...)
Great idea for fast use of leftovers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16 by cjs (Great idea for fast ...)
Here is the recipe for butternut squash soup that I loosely followed. My notes show where I cut a few calories. They were not missed. This soup was delicious. Ron sprinkled his with some chipotle pepper. I may add some turkey sausage to the next batch. Although it was written for the slow cooker, I roasted the squash on the grill, which probably helped the taste a lot.

Slow- Cooker Butternut Squash Soup

2 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 butternut squash (2 lb.), peeled, cubed
2 cups water
½ tsp dried marjoram leaves
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, cubed

1. In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.

2. In 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix onion and remaining ingredients except cream cheese.

3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.

4. In blender or food processor, place one-third to one-half of mixture at a time. Cover; blend on high speed until smooth. Return mixture to slow cooker. Stir in cream cheese. Cover; cook on Low heat setting about 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted, stirring with wire whisk until smooth.

Tips
Maryann's lower fat version: 4 oz. of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 1 T. butter, 2 cups of chicken stock in place of water and bouillon cubes. Might need more stock if the soup is too thick.

Source: bettycrocker.com newsletter
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
"Although it was written for the slow cooker, I roasted the squash on the grill,"

Am I right in thinking you roasted the squash on the grill and then added to slo-cooker?? Or finish on the stove top?? Adding sausage would be a great way for leftovers... Smile Thanks Maryann.

By the way, Maryann, did you ever make the black pepper dish??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16 by cjs ("Although it was wri...)
We roasted the squash on the grill until nice and soft and slightly brown, then let it cool enough to handle.  In the meantime, I had cooked the onion on the stove until it was nice and soft, then put the squash and the onion in the food processor to puree, adding enough chicken broth to help it along. Then, I put it all in a pot on the stove to finish, adding more broth and the cream cheese, letting it simmer until the cream cheese melted and the soup was nice and hot.

Sorry for the confusion. Guess I should have just posted the recipe the way I made it and not the BC version.  Rolleyes

P.S. I cut the squash in half, brushed with oil and wrapped in foil because I didn't want it to burn on the grill. Ron turned it over every 10 minutes or so and it took about 45 or 50 minutes to cook. Hope this helps.

ETA: Yes, I did make the black pepper fish! Ron loved it and although I liked it a lot, it wasn't quite as good as what I had at the Emperor's Palace, but that may be because they used flounder and I used cod. I love cod, but it wasn't quite the same.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: RE: Dinner Thread 10/17/16 - 10/24/16 by Mare749 (We roasted the squas...)
Maryann,

This recipe sounds so good, I may have to make it even if it's just for me!  Thanks for the notes!  They're always helpful!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Yes, thanks Maryann - I'm thinking this soup is on my list!!

Well now, this leftover morphing is a winner – Beef & Pepper Stir-Fry into a Shepherd’s pie. Just added sautéed onions, carrots, celery and green peas. Topped with mashed potatoes combined with milk, egg, bread crumbs and white cheddar. Will do the stir-fry again just for the pie. Only thing I wish I’d done is add some sliced water chestnuts for more crunchy!

WTH?? Since I changed the format so I can see on my ipad - now look what happens to the pictures. This is crazy!!!!

What the heck is happening??

Now the pictures are humungous!!!

Edited to add - I had to delete the pictures - they were just too darn large!!! - 2nd edit - something doesn't let me delete the pictures. So sorry about the size.

Attached Files Image(s)

www.achefsjourney.com
Oh dear!  Those are big!!!!  I like the leftover idea, though!

Thanks for the recipe, Maryann!

I got a calzone for lunch which we didn't get to until after three.  Of course, I couldn't even eat half, so William and I will split the leftovers.

Funny side note.  Ashley and friends are off to Ashville for her first big girl vacation.  They all rented a house from Airbnb.  A thing kinda like what Laura did a couple years ago, but with much greater succes.  Anyway, today she shared some of their lunch choices.  The restaurant uses all house ground halal (?) beef tenderloin for their burgers.  She said it was the best burger she ever had.

Anyway, they also offered a couple of unusual tacos.  The one made with goat was not too out there, but the other one was made with crickets!  And no, that's not an autocorrect.  I said CRICKETS!  One of her friends got one of each.  She couldn't finish the cricket one....she started thinking too much.  Ashley said her duck wontons and another friend's pulled pork nachos were excellent.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Oh how fun for them.... crickets, huh? Don't know, it would definitely be a hard one to do.

The darn pictures and it's Friday, so Tony can't help for a few days. Sad
www.achefsjourney.com
SATURDAY’S DINNER – 10/22/16??

Now, I can't post a msg. with the font/size options given - what the heck??

What's on the menu for everyone today??

I'm morphing my Creole Corn dish into some veggie patties and may make a sandwich out of them....
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, did you switch to the desktop version at the bottom?  When I use my iPad, the program defaults to the mobile version that does not give you the message screen that allows emoticons and font options.  Took me a while to figure that out.

I haven't played with the font.  This is pretty cool!

Anyway, I'm not sure about dinner.  We are going into the city this afternoon, and William promised a late lunch out.  So I think I'll save my stir fry for tomorrow.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.