Speaking of Butternut Squash.....
  Re: Speaking of Butternut Squash..... by cjs (Don't these sound (a...)
I developed this recipe for a company (Roy's) Christmas dinner a number of years ago and it turned into a big catering dish for me. Daphne and I have loved it ever since.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Saw this idea this morning...why didn't I buy 2 or 3 butternut sq.?????

BUTTERNUT SQ - Hasselback Butternut Squash with Bay Leaves

For this holiday-worthy recipe, roasting the butternut with several bay leaves slipped between the slices results in a subtle aromatic backdrop for the chile glaze.

1 large butternut squash or 2–3 small honeynut squash (about 3 pounds total)
1 Tbs olive oil
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 Fresno chile, thinly sliced
¼ cup pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
3 Tbs unsalted butter
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
6–8 dried bay leaves

1. Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 425°. Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a large spoon. Using a peeler, remove skin and white flesh below (you should reach the deep orange flesh). Rub all over with oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast in a baking dish just large enough to hold halves side by side until beginning to soften (a paring knife should easily slip in only about ¼"), 15–18 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, bring chile, maple syrup, butter, and vinegar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high, stirring occasionally and removing chile as soon as desired heat level is reached (set aside for serving), until just thick enough to coat spoon, 6–8 minutes. Reduce heat to very low and keep glaze warm.

3. Transfer squash to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Using a sharp knife, score rounded sides of squash halves crosswise, going as deep as possible but without cutting all the way through. Return squash to baking dish, scored sides up, and tuck bay leaves between a few of the slices; season with salt and pepper.

4. Roast squash, basting with glaze every 10 minutes or so and using pastry brush to lift off any glaze in dish that is browning too much, until tender and glaze forms a rich brown coating, 45–60 minutes. Serve topped with reserved chiles.

Source
Source: Bon Appetit newsletter - 10/22/16

Author Notes
Do Ahead: Squash can be roasted 4 hours ahead. Let cool until just warm; cover and store at room temperature. Reheat before serving

I'm going to try to post a picture of the dish, but it it's too large, I don't know if I can delete it!!! Sad

Attached Files Image(s)

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh my goodness!  How pretty!  And it sounds delicious!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: RE: Speaking of Butternut Squash..... by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my goodness!  How...)
Wow, that is an impressive dish. I'm wondering what happens when you try to serve it because the squash will be soft, so it isn't likely to come out in slices, although that probably doesn't matter anyway...I'm rambling. Looks delicious.

Jean, I can't wait to try the dish that you developed! Won't be this weekend though. We are busy with playoff volleyball games for Katie and Abby, and Katie has basketball games for an "off season" team that she is playing on to help her get ready for high school basketball next year.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I can't believe after all these years you haven't tried this one Maryann - unless..... every time it came up you may have been in 'training' for another darn cruise!! (hmmm, does the envy come thru in that??? Smile Smile Smile )

I'm thinking with the squash, with a wide spatula a portion could be picked up an kept intact.
www.achefsjourney.com
I hear on the cruise envy!  And that is the only reason I can think of for why she hasn't tried it.
Daphne
  Re: RE: Speaking of Butternut Squash..... by Gourmet_Mom (I hear on the cruise...)
No, not at all. I never get past three weeks when trying to get swimsuit ready. Blush

I probably didn't try it because I was afraid Ron wouldn't like it. No longer have to worry about that. He loves butternut squash.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
That makes sense.  I'm glad he likes it now!  And if he loves it as much as William, you may want to get an extra large squash, because I couldn't keep him out of the roasted squash!  I was worried I wouldn't have enough for the pasta!
Daphne