Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup
  Re: (...)
This was in the Fine Cooking magazine too, but I've never been too fond of apricots; however, the more I looked at it the more delicious it sounded. So, here it is:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apricots w/Moscato & Thyme Syrup

Recipe By :Irit Ishai
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Desserts-Ices

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups Moscato or Moscato d'Asti wine (2-3 cups)
5 ounces dried apricots (15 to 20)
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 sprigs fresh thyme (more for garnish)
2 pounds fresh apricots or pluots (16 apricots or 7 medium pluots)

In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of the wine to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the dried apricots. Cover the pan and let the apricots marinate in the wine for at least 8 hours, or overnight.

Strain the wine from the marinated fruit into a measuring cup. You'll need a total of 1 cup wine; if you have less, supplement with more wine from the bottle. If you have more, discard the extra (or drink it). Combine the 1 cup wine and the sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Add the thyme and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 7 minutes to let the thyme infuse. Strain through a fine sieve, let cool, and refrigerate, covered, until completely chilled.

Just before serving, cut the plumped dried apricots into quarters, slicing them lengthwise. Cut the fresh apricots or pluots in half, pit them, and slice each half into 1/2-inch wide wedges. Put all the fruit in a large serving bowl. Pour on just enough of the Moscato syrup to lightly coat the fruit, about 1/3 cup. Garnish with fresh sprigs of thyme, if you like.

Source:
"Fine Cooking, Jun/Jul '04"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Moscato can be expensive, but there are delicious, affordable examples, such as Sutter Home Moscato, that work well in this recipe. A pluot is a cross between a plum and apricot and difficult to find in some areas.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup by bjcotton (This was in the Fine...)
Sounds good BillyJ - did you like it?? or mess with it??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup by cjs (Sounds good BillyJ ...)
No, I didn't mess with it this time. I had my little sis bring me some moscato down from Portland..it was the Sutters. I guess I've learned to like apricots...this way anyway.

Billy
  Re: Re: Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup by bjcotton (No, I didn't mess wi...)
I'll have to remember this one. We won't get fresh apricots for a few months yet.

Crap, i haven't figured out how to do smileys and whatnots on here yet.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup by Lorraine (I'll have to remembe...)
Lorraine--it is really EASY!!! If you want a smiley at the beginning of your post just click on any of the icons in the area ABOVE the area that you post the message. It will show up at the time of the click on the continue button. If you want a smiley anywhere in the body of the message (or at the end) just click on any of the instant graemlins BELOW the message box. A symbol will come up over the face---just type in that symbol---with the colons, no spaces, and that will show up as well once you enter your post. You can experiment by posting a message and then deleting with the appropriate message icon. If you're not TOTALLY confused yet, have fun trying. Looking forward to your successful adventure---I do adore these little babies

I will place this in my "to try" folder--apricots are few and far between here but I WILL REMEMBER.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup by Lorraine (I'll have to remembe...)
Lorraine, these aren't like the one's we're used to where you just click on them. I don't think they were set up correctly. But, with no moderators around you can't ask any questions...like the 'italics' doesn't work either, or URL.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup by cjs (Lorraine, these aren...)

Thanks, I learn something new every day!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Apricots with Moscato & Thyme Syrup by Lorraine ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Tomorrow Lorraine, we'll teach you to tie your own tennie runners

Billy