New Cooking Hints
Smile    
Some clever ideas I saw in the new issue of Bon Appetit – just thought I’d share with you all.

“You know how a pita sandwich gets all soggy at the bottom? It just doesn’t have to be that way.  Instead of cutting the bread in half, trim a 1 1/2”  opening from the top, flip that trimmed piece over, and tuck it into the bottom of the pocket before filling it.
That reinforced base absorbs the meat drippings and sauce that are key to the sandwich but can wreck a pita, and makes for the perfect final bite."
[Image: Nov%209%20Reinforcing%20Pita%20bread_zpsgvt5wwul.jpg]

Roasting Ginger
"Chef Josh Walker’s recipe for kale salad prompted some double takes. It instructed us to broil unpeeled ginger for about 45 minutes before puréeing it (skin and all) into a dressing – not the way we usually cook with the rhizome. But then we tried it. Slightly smoky with a complex spiciness , it made for the most aromatic, funky-sweet sauce we’ve ever tasted.
Which is to say, we were happy to have leftover ginger purée to play around with. Our next moves? Add some to cold dressed soba noodles, using a schmear as a condiment for banh mi, or even sneaking a spoonful into good ol’ chicken soup."

Also, there are some really good hints in the new issue of C@H and it really pisses me off when I see tips which I’ve been using forever and who’d a thunk to send them in?? (Just smarter folks, I guess)

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: New Cooking Hints by cjs ([size=medium][color=...)
I'm glad you posted this here so I'll be able to find it later.  I looked at the other tips from your FB page and saw many I want to remember.  Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: New Cooking Hints by cjs ([size=medium][color=...)
Oh good, Daphne. I thought these were interesting also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com