Thanksgiving - 2016, Who, What, Where, When?
Big Grin    
So what's happening for Thanksgiving for everyone?? 

I'm so excited to have one of the kids with us - it's been a long time since I've cooked a holiday dinner at our house for family. Menu is in place (including Matt's request for Beerox/Bierox) as a snack when they pull in Wednesday night and/or Thursday morning brunch. I've collected many versions of these little goodies over the years and have decided to try some of them out on the kids. (Tracie, don't you dare curl your lip!!!! Dodgy  ) As Lorraine and I are so want to do, I hope I don't make anymore changes - 'cause I have my grocery list made also!!!!!

Thanksgiving 2016
with
Matt & Wendy

Our menu

Wednesday Nite Snack
Beirox

Thursday Morning Brunch
Beirox
Fruit Platter

Thanksgiving Dinner
First Course: Marrow Bones with Rosemary-Lemon Bruschetta
Ham with Maple Syrup/O.J. Glaze
Gruyere Macaroni & Cheese
OverCooked Green Beans
Scallop Pineapple
Honey, Rosemary and Sea Salt Flatbread

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Cream Cheese
Whipped Pumpkin Butter

Friday Morning Brunch
Pumpkin French Toast
Ham

Friday Dinner
Chile Rellenos Casserole
Black Bean & Corn Relish
Mexican Rice

And, they go home Saturday morning.... Sad   Heart
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thanksgiving - 2016, Who, What, Where, When? by cjs ([size=small]So what'...)
Ashley and Jason are hostin their first Thanksgiving for family and friends.  There will be fifteen of us.  There will be games in the back yard in the afternoon.  I can't wait!  It sounds like we will all have a good time!

What I know so far:

The kids all decided to roast oysters early in the day and eat Thanksgiving dinner later in the day.

Jason is doing a fried turkey and a stuffed roasted turkey.

Ashley is doing deviled eggs and I'm to help with dressing like we like it and giblet gravey when I get there.

A friend is doing green bean casserole.

I'm doing butter beans and sweet potatoes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Thanksgiving - 2016, Who, What, Where, When? by cjs ([size=small]So what'...)
Wow! What a great menu Jean and how wonderful is it to have Matt & Wendy over!

Daphne, that sounds awesome.

We're having our Thanksgiving today, I've got a 21lb turkey in the oven right now and it's smells so good! Our menu is a traditional one; Turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, dinner rolls. The kids are bringing the side dishes, cranberries, green bean casserole, deviled eggs and Carylann's Mom is bringing dessert, probably a pumpkin pie or two.

As for the actual Thanksgiving day, CA and I are going out for dinner. Big Grin

http://www.lapalapapv.com/
Menus are sounding so good and I can just smell your kitchen, Blane!!!

Wow! Are these good!! Wanted them for an appetizer/snack for Thanksgiving weekend. Followed the recipe/method exactly. We split one for testing – now it’s going to be rough to stay out of them. I hope they freeze well for a few days.

APPETIZER - Soft Giant Pretzels
Source: Taste of Home
"Let your machine mix the dough, then all you have to do is shape and bake these fun snacks."

[Image: no9v%2020%20002_zpsafwwwkep.jpg][/img]

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbs brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
Coarse salt

In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). (My note: I did have to add 2 T. flour)
2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape.
3. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
4. Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Spritz or lightly brush with water. Sprinkle with salt. Servings: 8
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
TheBlane and Jean, you've both got me drooling!  YUM!
Daphne
Our Thanksgiving dinner will be much like Blane's. We have a 20 lb. turkey to stuff, mashed potatoes, gravy, candied yams, green bean casserole, cranberries, and my mom's recipe for potato rolls and pumpkin pies.

Everyone's menus sound delicious. Jean, you are going to have so much fun and what a great way to enjoy your new country home! BTW, those pretzels look yummy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Bert and I are taking Jane out to a Thanksgiving Buffet. Only three of us this year and Jane has been
preparing for a small party at the end of next week.  No cooking for her on Thanksgiving!!!!  Happy, happy,
everyone!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Right back at you Mr. Bill, Jane, Bert and the whole famn damily.  Heart 

We are really having a hard time staying out of these darn pretzels - they are delicious! And, using the bread machine, so easy.
www.achefsjourney.com
I am so ridiculously stuffed!  There were fifteen for lunch and dinner. The final rundown...started with pepperoni two ways, four cheeses, crackers, pickles and olives, moved on to roasted oysters, dinner included three types of fresh local deli baked breads with butter and truffle butter, one 16 lb. fried turkey, one 21 lb. stuffed roasted turkey, 2 small pans green bean casserole, one large squash casserole, one large dish of Mac and cheese,  one large pan of sweet potatoes, broccoli salad, mashed potatoes, dressing(our way in addition to stuffing in the turkey), butter beans, and two kinds of gravy and finished off with a NY'er home made NY style cheese cake, and deli baked pecan and apple pies.  WOW!  And scary thought, I think I may have left something out!!!!

The kids did great!  They had lots of help, but they pulled it off beautifully!  I am very proud of them!
Daphne
Good  for the kids, Daphne!! Well done. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com