DINNER THREAD - 12/12/16 - 12/18/16
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 12/12/16 - 12/18/16 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
And, my cookies are all made!! Smile It's much more fun to make Christmas cookies with snow all around us. Good year for it.

Decided to go easy - combined marinara & pesto with a little pasta plus zucc spiral thingees and misc. chunks of cheese from the freezer topping it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Where is everyone? Hello? Sad
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Geez!  Late day at work today!  After I got dinner going, Ashley called.

So our temps are dropping off fast tonight, and temps are supposed to stay below freezing until after lunch time tomorrow!  The boys are doing a street right of way for the town, and the street runs north to south.  They are going to be freezing tomorrow!  Especially with a chill factor even lower!  That said, I switched out dinner plans to make the Zuppa Tuscano!  YUM!  Time to go mash up my cauliflower and add the cooked sausage and bacon!

Maryann, I'm hoping to try stir fry next week!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Another easy one - french dip sandwiches.  I have another deli meat brand I'm liking almost as much as Boar's Head.  Dietz & Watson.  Their london broil sliced very thin is really good for french dips because before you put it in the au jus it's very rare and tender. 

I think Michael is having some good old fashioned Lipton noodle soup.  He's a little off today (actually got sick in the middle of the night) but the trooper got to school by 2nd period.  He didn't want to miss his Spanish test.  His 2+ years of perfect attendance is marred by missing 1st period.  Wink
Hmm... I will have to try D&W London Broil. Thanks, Trixxee! And, hope Michael feels better soon. I agree with him. Lipton noodle soup is "good for what ails you". Wink

Daphne, that is awfully cold for your neck of the woods. I might have to spend my winters a bit south of you when Ron retires. Sounds like you are working hard, but also enjoying a different lifestyle. Not exactly what you had in mind for retirement though.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/16/16??

what's on the menu for today?? 

Leftovers here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I don't think you'll be disappointed with D&W, MA!  Pizza looks so good Jean.

Well, I think we splitting another french dip for lunch today and then for dinner, chicken tamales and spanish rice. I'm trying to use up what we have around the house because we are taking a somewhat spur of the moment road trip to Las Vegas on Sunday.  Some timeshare points were going to expire on 12/31 and that's what I came up with to utilize them.  Booked the most expensive suite I could to use up as many points as possible since they are going away anyway.
Wow!! How fun and have a wonderful time!
www.achefsjourney.com
1970s Zucchini & Pimiento Casserole
Most of you were not cooking in the 1970s, but this is a recipe I found somewhere (it was before computers…so must have been a magazine) that we have loved forever and I had completely forgotten about it. Made it today and it has stood the test of time – delicious!

ZUCCHINI & PIMIENTO CASSEROLE
"Jackie Watson and I once made this dish 5 nights in a row - not only were we trying to use up zucchinis from our gardens, but we both just loved this dish. Zin very good with this." – a note from 1970s and evidently I liked Zin even then!

1 1/2 lbs zucchini -- cut in 1/4" thick. crosswise slices
1 large onion -- sliced 1/4" thick
boiling salted water
4 ozs pimientos -- drained & chopped
1/4 cup crackers -- soda
1 cup cheddar cheese -- sharp
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs -- beaten

Place the zucchini and onion slices in a pan with a small amount of boiling water and cook, covered, over medium-high heat until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and cool quickly in cold water; drain well.
Place half the vegetable slices in a shallow 1-quart buttered casserole dish. Top with half the pimento, crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Top with remaining slices and top with the rest of the pimentos, crumbs, cheese and a little more salt and pepper.
Pour beaten egg over all; cover and bake at 350 F.  until the egg sets,  about 20
minutes.
[Image: dec%2015%20001_zpsuty1ja4v.jpg]
[Image: dec%2015%20003_zpsloznm4ng.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
WOW, Trixxee!  What a fun trip!

Maryann, this is a different lifestyle from what I expected when I retired, but to be honest, I'm loving it!  Perfect example is dinner tonight.  I got a call from one of our waitresses at Loco Joe's this afternoon.  Kaitlyn said Brian, the owner and a friend and client, came in this afternoon and said he was making shrimp and grits for me tonight.  LOL!  I whined a lot last Friday night.   Angel  Later, Brian called to tell me he was making it for me.  So obviously, that was dinner tonight!  Big Grin 

It feels so good to be "home" again.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.