Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16
  Re: Dinner Thread - 12/19/16 -- 12/25/16 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]D...)
Just checked "Maryann's Recipes" and I don't see this salad. I remember hearing about it over the years - why have I never asked for the recipe????????? Want to share?

She'll be happy to have the salad, Maryann. But, don't you get sick now!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Sure, I'll be happy too. It's really more of a method than a recipe, but I'll come back later and post it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I hope you feel better fast, Maryann!  I'd love to see the recipe as well.  Although, I'm looking forward to my Mom's for Christmas.  Especially since she's making it, since it's very labor intensive. Her's is just orange and grapefruit segments (pulp only), apples, and grapes.  Everything is cut up in the same size of a grape half.  Cutting up the citrus over the bowl allows the juices to add to the salad.  I'm so excited!

With spaghetti and chicken pot pie in the fridge, we are having leftovers.  William wanted to go out for lunch, and we split the Indy Pork Tenderloin Sandwich.  So half of my half sandwich was added to the mix.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Our family fruit salad is so different. I put cut/sliced fruit on a platter with a slight lip, drizzle with a light dressing (currant favorite is a mango vin) and sprinkle with shavings of Parm or Asiago.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Both of your fruit salads sound delicious, too.

This family fruit salad is one that evolved over the years. When my in-laws first moved here from Pa. as young newlyweds, they started their own traditions. In the early years, they made much smaller batches and with more of the less expensive fruits. But, as time went on, and they had a little more to spend, the amount increased as well as some of the fruit that they used. By the time I met Ron, they had increased to the 5 gallon bucket size. Anyway, here's how it goes.

Ron's Family Fruit Salad

3 large cans of peaches in syrup
3 large cans of pears in syrup
3 regular size cans of pineapple tidbits (so you don't have to cut them)
8 red delicious or gala apples
8 to 10 large oranges
2 grapefruit
10 mandarin oranges (or use canned)
red seedless grapes, if you can get them, otherwise you have to remove all the seeds. I think we buy 2 lbs.
6-8 large bananas---don't let them get too ripe or they will get mushy
3 jars of maraschino cherries

Cut all the fruit into small bite-size pieces, about the size of the pineapple tidbits. Use all the syrup from the cans. Segment and cut all the citrus fruit and add it to the salad along with all the juice. Halve or quarter the grapes and cherries. If the juice from the canned fruits sounds like it will make the salad too sweet, it won't. By the time you add all the fresh fruit, it will be just right. Due to the syrup and the citrus fruits, this fruit salad keeps for a few weeks if kept cold. Be sure to stir often during the prep to mix thoroughly.
Maryann

That darn salad is so off the wall, I just have to try it!! Will scale down for sure tho. Smile Thanks Maryann. Now, to keep Roy out of the juices....his thing after finishing off the fruit platter is finishing off the juices which accumulate on the plate. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Thursday's Dinner - 12/22/16??

What's on the menu for everyone today?? 

I'm still up in the air...hopefully I have some fish in the freezer, that sounds good to me.
www.achefsjourney.com
I made a pot of beef vegetable soup in the Instant Pot to feed off of for the next few days. We'll have a cup of that with dinner. Also made a meatloaf to have with mashed potatoes, gravy, and frozen peas.

Jean, keep in mind that you can taste as you go while you are making the fruit salad so if it is too sweet for you, just add another grapefruit, or fewer cherries.
Maryann

I started early today and stayed late, so William suggested ordering pizza.  I didn't argue.  LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
T.G.I.F. Dinner - 12/23/16??

What's on the menu for today??

Have some bean sprouts to use up.....
www.achefsjourney.com