Dinner Thread - 12/26/16 -- 1/1/17
  Re: Dinner Thread - 12/26/16 -- 1/1/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=large]Di...)
Jean, your NYE spread looks delicious and fun! I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I didn't end up making our snacking tray last night. We spent a few hours at MicroCenter yesterday so Ron could buy a new computer. By the time we got back home it just seemed easier to order Chinese. Big Grin

Happy New Year everyone!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
There is always another day............. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Jean, your spread looks great!

Maryann, you spent the day together...that's all that really matters.

Tonight we are having BBQ (William had a Boston Butt in the freezer at home), black eyed peas with smoked sausage, and collards.  Southern tradition all the way!  Using my new little grill for the pork, and working on that learning curve with a new grill!

Sadly, dinner will be kinda late.  Mr. Bill had a little trouble motivating to pack up the van to get back to the trailer after church today.  But since there is sausage in the black eyed peas, we may just have the BBQ tomorrow night.  We'll see.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
That's exactly what we thought, Jean. I have been battling a whopping cold for a week now and now that Christmas is over, kind of lost my steam. So today, decided to pamper myself and make a pot of turkey noodle soup from a recipe that you gave me a long time ago. It is called "Leftovers - Soup- Turkey Noodle Soup" but....it's not the same as the one you have in "I have LEFTOVERS...What do I do now?

This recipe is HANDSDOWN THE BEST TURKEY NOODLE SOUP EVER!!! I don't think I will ever make another one! Yum. Yum. Yum. Big Grin

ETA: We were posting at the same time, Daphne. Just saw your post. You dinner sounds soooo good.
Maryann

Your set up looks great Jean!

Well, I took cue from Maryann and Blane and we ordered Chinese food today for lunch and then have enough for dinner later.  We got the house special chow mein noodles, broccoli and beef, and a sort of panko shrimp with walnuts and a sweet sauce.

Michael had a cheese quesadilla for lunch.  Don't laugh - at least it's something new (to him) that he will eat.  His Spanish teacher made some on the last day of school and what do you know, he tried it and liked it.
Go Spanish teacher for getting Michael to try something new!

Maryann, I hope you feel better soon!  When you get a chance, could you share the soup,recipe?  Sounds like something I need to have in the list for cold days ahead or if one of gets sick.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Would love the turkey soup recipe too at some point!
This is a good one  - I'm so glad you like it, Maryann!!
[Image: Dec%2012%20Turkey%20Noodle%20Soup%20with...jmfzf9.jpg]

LEFTOVERS - SOUP - Turkey Noodle Poblano Soup*****

Everyone needs a turkey noodle soup recipe, one of the best dishes you can make for your family from a turkey carcass. Adding a can of mushroom soup adds just the correct amount of creaminess and the poblano just a touch of heat. I’m old enough to think Campbell soups have a place in every kitchen and I love adding them to homemade dishes with no guilt at all.

1 Tbs oil
1/2 medium sized yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely sliced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbs fresh basil, julienned or 1/2 T. dried
2 tsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried
2 1/2 quarts chicken stock or half stock/half water (10 cups)
1 can Campbell’s Mushroom soup
1 roasted poblano chili, diced (preferably roasted)
Salt & pepper
1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups fresh spinach, (packed) coarsely chopped
2 cups chopped cooked turkey
1 1/2 cups egg noodles, uncooked

1. In a large soup pot cook the onion in the oil over low heat until just limp, 10 minutes. Add the garlic, carrot, celery, red pepper flakes, basil and oregano and continue cooking for 10 minutes more.

2. Add the stock, mushroom soup and chili; bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper to taste. Add the beans, spinach, turkey and noodles; cook until noodles are tender, 7-8 minutes.

Notes
(1) I hope you keep Parmesan rinds, because this soup just calls out for pieces of rind added with the stock. They are nice little surprises when your spoon picks one up in the soup. Cut them to about 1/2" squares.

(2) If you have holiday gravy leftover, add it to the soup in place of the mushroom soup for a wonderful flavor.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
What a way to start the new year! Topped the filet with Truffle butter and a sprinkling of Truffle Dust. Baked Sweet Potato topped with Crème Fraiche and Caviar. The flavors were exquisite and I’m not using that word lightly.
Had white and red wines open to ‘test’ – both matched perfectly, even the white went well with both.
Red – The Inaugural R Collection 2015 Cab Sauvignon
White – The Jumper Sauvignon Blanc 2015
[Image: Jan%201%20Dinner_zpscuh8esh6.jpg]

Looks a little messy, but it sure was tasty! And, I can't remember ever baking sweet potatoes before...I love them, but I can't believe I haven't. Undecided  Especially with these toppings!
www.achefsjourney.com
Looks delicious, Jean. I can't believe you have never roasted sweet potatoes. We "roast" them on the grill all the time. Delicious!  You do have to wrap them in foil though to prevent them from burning and to hold in the moisture.

I'm glad you posted the photo of your soup. I did take one but your pic is so much prettier.
I forgot to mention in my original post that I did not have a poblano pepper, but did have a jalapeno. So, I diced that and cooked it for a few minutes with the onions, celery and carrots. Between that and the 1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes, it was the perfect amount of heat for us.
Maryann