DINNER THREAD - 1/9/17 - 1/15/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 1/9/17 - 1/15/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Maryann, I'm glad to hear the kids are making the most of it.  I hope they get to enjoy their experience.

Jean, you may hate me for this, but I'm going to trump Maryann's weather statement.  It was such a glorious day today, I considered getting a lawn chair and taking a nap in the sun.  Temps were almost 70 and will be this way through Friday!  I may get that lawn chair yet!

Due to the pretty weather, I considered grilling, but I couldn't think of what to cook.  Then I remembered my lovely mashed potatoes and peas from the disaster Sunday.  Then I remembered by yet to be tried instant pot!   Idea  Grabbed a chuck roast and put on pot roast.  Fingers crossed.  So far I was impressed with the searing feature.  To be honest I had my doubts about that.  William was even impressed.

Okay, super impressed!  A tender flavorful pot roast in an hour?  Even William was in awe!  He said it's the best kitchen gadget I've had yet!  Thanks for the referral all.....and especially Denise for posting the link for the super sale on Amazon, making it possibles for Ashley to get it for my Christmas present!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Daphne, no one likes a braggart!! Tongue Big Grin  

I'm thinking since this brain is getting 'olderly' I'm going to work on one new method of cooking at a time, so I'm sticking with my Sous Vide thing for a while longer before I head back to the IP. Then I'll come running to you all to lead me thru all the tangles.

Last night's snack -
[Image: Jan%2011%20Sous%20Vide%20Slider_zpsyuz2uvef.jpg]
[Image: Jan%2011%20Beef%20Slider%201_zpsffyocfeu.jpg]

Ever since Sharon (a gal on another cooking forum) made Pub burgers Sous Vide, I’ve wanted them. Finally gave it a try yesterday and I love this method! I did some searching (in addition to her instructions) and some folks had problems with the patties holding together while searing them plus some had problems keeping the small pkgs. submerged. To ward this off, I put a teaspoon in the bottom of the baggie before adding the patties and it worked great. Also, I had no problem searing them after they had been chilled for ~5-6 hours. Warmed them up to 130° and finished the sliders with pepper jack cheese and B&B pickle. Just what I wanted – at least until I can get all the snow off the grill!!!

I wanted to try my Searzall for the searing, but still can’t find the darn nozzle thing for my blow torch….

P.S. Daphne, I’m sure taking this gadget with me in the trailer when we’re on the road!!

I guess one of the reasons I like this method (in addition to the results) is that the mess is all done early in the day and they can rest/chill until I'm ready to sear them - winter in a skillet/summer on the grill - and no last minute fussing. Happy camper here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thursday's Dinner - 1/12/17??

What's on the menu for everyone today??

I headed back to the freezer and found a pkg. of Southwestern Pulled Pork Stew, so we'll have that over rice and a salad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Your burger looks delicious. How is it different than if you fried it on the stove? More tender? I don't have the Sous Vide yet, but find it quite interesting. I am always looking for ways to do my prep early in the day. Nothing worse than having a big mess to clean up after a nice meal.

I have l/o beer can chicken from last night, so thinking of making chicken salad sammies and tomato soup.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Burger looks great!

I am leaning toward pot sticker soup with asian vegetables in it.  It's dreary and rainy as all get out here so that sounds good.  I just don't know if it will be enough for Tony.  But I don't know what I would supplement it with.  Don't think I'm in the mood for an asian-y salad.  And garlic bread or rolls don't really seem to go.  Maybe I'll call him and suggest he eat a big lunch.  LOL.
Your soup sounds good, Trixxee. Ron usually likes something else along with soup, too. I keep eggrolls in the freezer to add to meal sometimes, especially if it has a lot of vegetables and not a lot of meat.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
That's a great idea Maryann.  Also thought about that one brand of frozen tempura shrimp but then Michael will probably be complaining about the smell.  Egg rolls it is!
Great looking burger, Jean!  Are you talking about the sous vide in the trailer?  I'll have to wait on that for a while.  I'll play with the IP for a while so he'll see that it wasn't just a new idea that got put away and not used again.  THEN I can ask for a new toy!

Nice suggestion, Maryann!

I'm not sure right now.  But I want to play with the grill again, and Jean's burger sure sounds good.  We'll see!
Daphne
Maryann, can't tell any difference in taste, texture - but the pre-prepping is wonderful. Roy does the dishes now and I try to have as few dirty for him as possible plus I'm too lazy to do much prep work at the end of the day (or even mid-day).
I prep ahead everything I can and clean up after myself, then I just have to put things together.

Like the burgers - ate on paper plates, so just a small skillet and spatula, spreaders and such. Easy.

Yes, Daphne - I'm taking this little jewel in the trailer!!! I carry a soup kettle with us anyway, so wouldn't have to add an extra cambro (which I usually use with the 'thing') to store.
www.achefsjourney.com
I had to stay late to meet with MB, the girl that still helps with our maps, and my plans changed.  Ordering pizza.
Daphne