DINNER THREAD 1/23/17 - 1/29/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD 1/23/17 - 1/29/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
then relax and enjoy the weekend, Trixxee, etal!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Already poured myself a glass of wine!

BTW Jean, tomorrow from 1:30pm-3:00pm PST on NBC there is coverage of a brand new stakes race called The Pegasus.  $12 million dollar purse - biggest ever in the US.

California Chrome will retire directly after the race, and his main opponent will be Arrogate, superb beautiful horse as well.  Could either be an extremely exciting match race between the two of them, or perhaps one of the other 10 horses entered will win.  If you're at home, turn it on.  Wink
Thanks Trixxee - note made!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks, Trixxee!  It is an involved recipe!  We'll see if Jean can make it easier, but to be honest, I love the recipe as is, and can't imagine making it any other way.

Also, good luck on the license...as you know, I've been there, done that.  My oldest with similar issues, has done pretty well.  He finally passed and has a pretty good record.  Hang in there, Mom!  

Jean, I will post the recipe for the dish at the end of this post, but I need to try to amend my dinner plans first.

William went home early, so when I got home, he surprised me with dinner out at Loco Jo's.  They had several dishes to celebrate the Chinese New Year, so we tried the quail appetizer to help celebrate.  It was marinated in an Asian style and was very good, but William was not impressed.  I liked it.  He enjoyed the Boom Boom Cauliflower he loves, and we shared fried calimari and wings.  Oh and I forgot our bottle of house cab.  It was a nice night out, but not as cozy as we have grown accustomed to.

Okay, my picture won't load.  This is frustrating.  I refuse to go through the hour to load it to Photobucket to load it here.  I thought we had the ability to post pictures straight from our library here.  I know I did it once, but no more!  Most frustrating!

Anyway, here is the recipe, Jean.

Japanese Fried Chicken

To ensure a crisp crust, be sure to heat the oil before frying the chicken.
Makes 4 servings Total time: 45 minutes

FOR THE SAUCE, SIMMER:
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups sliced yellow onion 
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce 
1/2 cup mirin or sherry
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger 
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Black pepper to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN, SLICE:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8–10 oz. each)
COMBINE:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
4 eggs
2 Tbsp. water
3 cups panko bread crumbs
FRY:
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
For the sauce, simmer broth, onion, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, sesame oil, and pepper flakes in a saucepan over medium-low heat until onion is soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and season with black pepper; keep warm.
For the chicken, slice breasts crosswise into two pieces. Pound pieces between sheets of plastic wrap into 1/4-inch-thick cutlets using the flat side of a meat mallet. 
Combine flour, salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a shallow dish. Beat eggs with water in another shallow dish. Place panko in a third dish. Coat cutlets on both sides in flour, dip into egg (allowing excess to drip off ), then dredge in panko.
Fry cutlets in two batches in a sauté pan over medium-high heat in 2 Tbsp. oil per batch, until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, adjusting heat as necessary.
Slice cutlets into strips and serve with Vinegar Sushi Rice and sauce.
Per serving: 507 cal; 19g total fat (3g sat); 166mg chol; 1417mg sodium; 46g carb; 2g fiber; 33g protein

Vinegar Sushi Rice
Firm, sticky Japanese-style rice is ideal for soaking up the flavorful onion sauce.
Makes 4 servings Total time: 30 minutes
RINSE:
1 cup dry white sushi rice 
11/4 cups cold water
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
STIR IN:
1/2 cup sliced scallions 
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
Rinse rice in cool water until water runs clear; drain. Place rice in a medium saucepan and stir in water and salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and cook rice until tender and water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
Stir in scallions and vinegar; keep rice warm.
Per serving: 183 cal; 0g total fat (0g sat); 0mg chol; 243mg sodium; 40g carb; 2g fiber; 3g protein 
3/2013 we gave this a 10
3/22/16: Made this as written except for subbing sherry for mirin.  It's definitely a 10.  It was nice to be able to blanch the asparagus, make the broth, and dredge the chicken early in the afternoon.  Put the chicken on a rack and put in the fridge.  This way, I could put the rice on, fry the chicken, and roast the asparagus all at the same time.  Put the. Hi ken in the oven with temp lowered after frying.  Perfect!  Dinner in 30 minutes!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
sure sounds good, Daphne!!

Reading it over, looks like you've solved the prep ahead steps which help a lot. But for finishing off, you do have some utensils to fill the kitchen! I'm keeping the recipe to try!
www.achefsjourney.com
Saturday's Dinner, 1/28/17??

What's on the menu for today?? I need to do a few days of freezer 'unloading' - so leftovers for a while for us.
www.achefsjourney.com
Oh, sorry about Michael's rough week. Glad he isn't too upset by it, but sure relate to how you feel about the DMV.

Daphne, is it still cold there? Do you have a picnic table outside your trailer? I used to do as much as possible "outside" just to keep the mess to a minimum on the inside. It's so much easier to do your prep on a big table than on limited counter space.

We are going downtown this afternoon with friends to celebrate Chinese New Year. We will do a shopping trip to Asia Foods, watch the Lion dance performance in Asiatown Center, then go to Tony's favorite Chinese place for dinner. It's a little bit dumpy, but it is clean and the food is fantastic.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Sounds like a fun day MA.

I think we're having tortilla crusted tilapia (frozen, from Costco), broccolini, and will finish up the rest of the peeled/cubed sweet potatoes (roasted).  Sweet potatoes have become a major staple around here.

P.S. - thanks for posting that recipe Daphne. I made it YEARS ago but with pork tenderloin medallions and I can never find the recipe anywhere when it crosses my mind.

P.S.S. - change of plans - tilapia for lunch, Japanese chicken for dinner. Wink
Still eating out of the freezer - found a Sweet Sour Pork sauce to put over rice - vegie

But, I did get 3 batches of pizza dough made!! Happy Dance. Haven't had a stock pile for the longest time. Maryann, I'm finding I don't like the 'outside' crust rim when I add the enhancer the last few times. So, made just one (Laura's pizza recipe) adding it. and the other 2 I didn't. A.P. & Cake flour and Bread flour dough recipes from 'the book'

I've been wanting to test the difference for a while now, so looks like a pizza week coming up.....oh, poor us. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Maryann, we do have a picnic table, but it's still cold and we have no outside lighting right now.  When days get longer, that's what I plan to do.

Trixxee, that's funny!  I'm glad I posted it.  I have made the pork version, also.  We love both of them!That super crispy crust with that onion-y broth...makes me want it again, just thinking about it!  ENJOY!

Lowe's has whole beef tenderloin on sale right now for $7.97/lb.  At first glance, I saw $88 and said forget it.  But after looking at prices of individual steaks at $25-30 for two, I took a second look.  That's when I realized that was the original price.  That's when we decided $55 was a good investment.

So steak night at my house!  It has become tradition again.  It's an easy dinner that William can accomplish while I work on the laundry.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.