Feb 28, 2017

Talk about being pi$$ed - Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/Pancake Day/Shrove Tuesday is Tuesday, Feb. 28th!!!!

I  love this holiday more than so many others and love to do the right food for it. BUT, I'm scheduled for Cataract surgery on that morning!! Damnation.

I'm hoping I can get some goodies prepped on Monday and maybe I can have something fun for the holiday.

Anybody else love this day?? And, what are you planning???

I am thinking I can prep something like Catfish Po'Boys and maybe a couple other things and just heat up.  Better than nothing, I guess. Angel
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Feb 28, 2017 by cjs (Talk about being pi$...)
We've never celebrated this holiday.  We do observe Ash Wednesday at church.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
We love Fat Tuesday, even since going to New Orleans. We have hats, decorations, and beads.  The kiddos just love it!  I'm making the muffulettas this year.

Jean, once you have a "catnap" after your surgery, you should be good to go. Party on. Big Grin
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
"Jean, once you have a "catnap" after your surgery, you should be good to go. Party on."

REALLY?? You know how apprehensive I've been about this whole thing, so from your lips to ................ Smile Smile  

I have our beads and goodies ready - Mr. Rooster watches over them for us -

[Image: Mar%204%20Mardi%20Gras_zpsmcsk0qgt.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
That's the spirit! Love the rooster!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Jean, I agree with Maryann 100%. You should be fine to do whatever a few hours after the surgery. I would suggest that if you have large bags of flour or sugar. i.e., >10 lbs. you ask hubby to help, but otherwise you should have no problems. You can't lift heavy stuff as with all surgeries and should avoid heavy exercise as well. Since cooking usually requires neither, you go girl!!!

I should tell you that I wish I'd been able to have my cataract surgery earlier. I'd worn mono contacts for many years (left for reading and right for distance.) So I had the cataracts done in the same way. The left eye first for reading. It was perfect from the day of the surgery. The right for distance a few weeks later. Result, no glasses or contacts at all now at age 70.

A funny story if I may; since I had perfect vision after the left eye, I expected the same for my right. I had problems reading the subtitles on my tv, they were sort of fuzzy. Thinking the tv was going (it was old) I decided to treat myself to a new one (Steve and I have different tastes, so he uses the one in the family room and I the one in the bedroom). So I ordered a new TV from Amazon to be delivered in about 3 weeks (it was new model). In the meantime I got a contact for distance for the left eye in case I had to drive in Boston, went off on my trip. I had no issues there and did not have to wear it at all. When I returned, I noticed my old tv was looking much brighter and I could see everything well.

Moral of the story, the right eye took a couple of weeks to fully recover/or my brain to adjust. So, I ended up with a better tv which I don't regret, but didn't need, and a box of unused contacts in the drawer, and 20/20 vision.
It'll be fine, Jean!  I think you will be able to enjoy your usual Mardi Gras Celebration just like you always do!     Big Grin

Alina, that's good to know!  Thanks for the info.  I'm sure I'll be in that situation one of these days!
Daphne
darn, I wish I had shared all this 'stuff' earlier - poor Maryann has had to be the brunt of listening to my whining and horrible fears of something being done to my eyes. Thanks to you all for your support!! Even our buddy, Bill, encouraged me on.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean, we'll always have your back!
Daphne
Smile
www.achefsjourney.com