DINNER THREAD, 3/13/17 - 3/19/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD, 3/13/17 - 3/19/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
Sweet Garlic Chicken looks delicious! I'm pretty sure we tried that when you first posted the recipe. Time to have it againl

Tonight, we are finally having the pork chops with bourbon sauce. Probably mashed potatoes and asparagus.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
We enjoyed the egg roll in a bowl - used broccoli slaw instead of coleslaw mix and I think that was a good plan - it held up to sauteeing very well.

We are having chicken parmesan and asparagus tonight.
Trixxee, I'm amazed at your discipline to stay with a lower carb diet. I'm still trying to work up to it. I have already cut way back on bread and pasta, but haven't cut it out entirely just yet. Do you think that eating lower carb helps curb your appetite? It seems to me that when I did it a few years ago, I was a lot less hungry, which is why I'm thinking of trying it again.

Which reminds me....I can make "cauliflower rice" to have with the pork chops.... Cool
Maryann

I have cauliflower rice on my Trader Joe's list to try!  I was waiting until made something with a sauce or gravy to put over it - which should be those pork chops.  I need to get some bourbon.

Yes, I think my appetite is less now.  I really don't eat anything between meals unless it's a serving of fruit.  But don't let me fool you - haven't cut out carbs completely but have cut way back.  I'll still have a half an Orowheat double fiber english muffin with egg salad (with a piece of crumbled bacon mixed in!).  And last week we had butternut squash ravioli. 

Here is a good breakfast idea in case you are interested.  Chocolate-Peanut Butter Smoothie.  In a blender combine 1 cup of unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk (30 calories, less than 1 carb), 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder (I use Orgain organic powder from Costco, 13 carbs/5 protein), 2 TBSP peanut butter powder (85% less than than actual peanut butter, 4 carbs/6 protein), 1 small banana or 1/2 large, 1 cup of ice).  It tastes really great and it keeps me satisfied for about 3-4 hours.
Thanks, Trixxee. I used to do smoothies all the time when I was working because I could drink it on the way. Sometimes I had to drive an hour or more to get to one of my stores, so I could really savor it. Here is what I used to do. I would take a container of "lite" yogurt and put it in the blender with 1 banana and about a cup of frozen strawberries. I would add in 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and a couple of ice cubes, then blend it all up until it was somewhat smooth but still frozen. It made a huge drink that would keep me full for hours.

Have you noticed any other positive effects of eating a lower carb diet? It seems to me I was less tired, too, because I wasn't eating bread.
Maryann

I just love using the Sweet Garlic Chicken on a pizza - can't duplicate this one very easily, most of came from the fridge. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I had planned to make chili, but William wants to order pizza.  Who am I to argue?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I used to make that exact same smoothie MA. 

I don't think I have more energy - I'm ALWAYS tired (even worse with the time change).  But yesterday I took my blood pressure after a particularly stressful phone call with Samsung (still don't have a phone - 3 weeks into this).    It was 118/70 (I think).  My BP hasn't been that low in a decade.  But I think it has more to do with a few things I've been consuming a lot of that are supposed to lower BP - green tea, bananas, sweet potatoes and turmeric capsules.
T.G.I.F. Dinner, 3/17/17??

Happy St. Patty's Day to all!!

What's on the menu today??

The Crew is getting together for a St. Patty's Day 'buffet' - I'm taking Soda bread and Irish Whiskey butter. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Subject to change:  Grilled halibut with a lemon caper sauce and a grilled vegetable basket (asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, red onion, baby red potatoes).