English Clambake

Hello all,
I would like to know the recipe of Clam Bakes. I have heard that it is a very famous seafood delicacy. I found this when I searched on the internet, https://www.blountsmallshipadventures.com/the-classic-new-england-clam-bake/ . Its main ingredients are Mussels and Crab, potatoes, onions, and corn. Since I love seafood, I thought this would be a good one. But I want to get an authentic recipe for it. If anyone has a recipe for this, please share it here. Thanks.
  Re: English Clambake by lexis ([color=#000000][size...)
 Welcome to the forum, Lexis -

I’ll start out giving you a link to instructions for a ‘traditional’ Clambake and below is the method which is easy for at home away from the beach.

10 Steps to a Traditional Clambake
https://www.thespruce.com/easy-traditional-clambake-1665701

or in your home kitchen:

If  you don’t have a ‘traditional’ Clam Bake pot, this method will certainly work for you. It’s from Leite's Culinary newsletter, 9/1/13 and pretty much takes you thru the entire process. He mentions using sea weed, but I have never had it to add and really haven’t missed it.

New England Clambake Recipe

An easy at-home clambake can be done in large disposable chaffing dish. Get some rock weed (a sea weed that grows at the ocean)—pick it yourself or get some from a seafood store. Poke 6 quarter-size holes in the dish, then put 1 1/2 to 2 inches rock weed in the bottom. Pile on the lobster and clams, then sausage, chourico or linguica, fish (portions of fillet in a small paper bag) if you like, onions, small potatoes and corn. Cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Throw it on a campfire for 45 to 60 minutes depending on the amount of food (done when the potatoes and onions are cooked). The seaweed will steam the food and give it the traditional smoky flavor of a clambake. Or you can use a large pasta cooking pot – with a perforated insert – which you put the liquids in the bottom and pile the seafood, etc. in the top portion.

1 cup cold water
2 cups dry white wine
2 1/2 Tbs Old Bay Seasoning (homemade or store-bought)
1 tsp coarse sea salt
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 red onion, roughly chopped
2 lbs new potatoes, halved
2 (1 1⁄2 to 2 pounds each) lobsters
2 dozen Manila clams
4 ears fresh corn, cut into quarters
Small bunch fresh tarragon or flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
Crusty bread
6 lemons, cut into wedges

In a ginormous stockpot over medium-high heat, bring the water, wine, Old Bay, salt, and garlic to a boil.

Add the onion and potatoes to the pot, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Nestle the lobsters on top of the onion and potatoes, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the clams and corn and continue to cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes more. Check to see if the clamshells have opened; if not, continue to cook until they have.

Carefully remove the pot from the heat and drain the cooking liquid. (Note: this cooking liquid is a wonderful served in cups, so don’t discard!)

Tip the contents of the pot onto a table lined with newspaper or butcher paper or transfer to a large platter. (If you can’t trust your guests to be amicable about splitting the lobsters, you may wish to cut each one in half prior to serving.) Sprinkle everything with the herbs and serve with small bowls of melted butter along with the crusty bread and lemon wedges. Instruct guests to discard any clams that haven’t opened. (You may wish to set out some small buckets or dishes so folks know where to toss the spent lobster and clamshells.) Serves 4
Source: Leite's Culinary newsletter, 9/1/13

--------------------
I hope others will come on and give their favorite methods to a great seafood tradition and good luck!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I'll have to come back later when I have time to describe how we do it at my house.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Grew up in Massachusetts with big whole-family clam bakes at the end of every summer, just before school started.

Of course, I was just a kid and not really paying attention to the cooking, but I remember that the main thing was a special pot in which the clams were steamed and that had a spigot at the bottom for dispensing clam broth. It was big enough that we built a charcoal fire in a hole in the ground and put the pot on top of a grate over the coals.

We also had clams on the half shell, oysters, lobster (even a 15-pounder, one year, when prices were not what they are today). For us kids and anyone else not into seafood, we had chicken, burgers, or other alternatives. In addition, unless I'm confusing my memories of clam bakes with those of other entertaining, desserts were things like Cherries Jubilee, Raspberry Bombe and Baked Alaska.

It was during the preparation for one of these clam bakes that my mom opened a package of beer cheese just as I was coming in from the back yard and my grandmother (not knowing about the cheese) asked if I had just been cleaning the kennels. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
"but I remember that the main thing was a special pot in which the clams were steamed and that had a spigot at the bottom for dispensing clam broth. It was big enough that we built a charcoal fire in a hole in the ground and put the pot on top of a grate over the coals." 

This is the pot I used also and one of the things down-sizing I cannot get rid of.  Maybe, I will still do another clam bake and want it........... Smile

I did add a note in the recipe to be sure to save the broth - it is so good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
William's mother was the queen of the clam bake.  It was always "an event"!  We used a pot like Labs described.  It was really more of a layering method than anything.  Here are the items included and the order they went in the pot:

Chicken
Medium potatoes
Fresh corn on the cob
Clams
Shrimp, crab legs, and lobster tails (optional)
Leaves from a whole cabbage
One medium potato on top (When the potato is tender, the pot is ready.)

Sprinkle Old Bay between layers.

Drain broth every so often and pour over all as it cooks.

We still have the oversized aluminum platter she got from a decommissioned Liberty ***** many years ago that we always use for this and Low Country Boil.  Clams and any other seafood would be poured in the center, cabbage leaves would be laid out around and rotate one each of chicken and vegetables around the platter on top of cabbage leaves.  That way everyone could reach some of everything.  One small bowl each of clam broth and butter would be placed between every place setting.

It is a family tradition we continue to do the same way for special occasions or just to celebrate summer with family and friends!
Daphne
We are making me very hungry.............. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
Isn't that the truth? This isn't traditional or anything, but we went to a clambake that had a ring of sausage/kielbasa on top. They probably just really like sausage. Wink
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
But really good flavors would seep on down!! Smile and clams and sausage are classic. Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
We add sausage to our Low Country Boil.  Sooooo good!
Daphne