DINNER THREAD - 4/10/17 - 4/16/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 4/10/17 - 4/16/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
We are grilling baby back ribs - on sale for $2.49/lb.  Tony is trying a Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce for the first time.  And corn on the cob on the grill.  I think Michael is having french toast and canadian bacon.  Wink
Maryann - the other day for lunch we each had a 1/2 an avocado topped with tuna salad.  I used to be afraid of avocados because of their calorie content.  Not afraid anymore.  ;Wink So many nutrients in avocados that are good for the brain.

I have not tried the cloud bread- I will look it up.  Thank you.
Maryann, I have made the Cloud Bread and here are my notes on it -

"Notes from 4/23/16 -
This is a crazy recipe, but it had to be tried!! The ‘buns/bread’ are as light as clouds and have the nicest flavor. Now to figure out how to use them because they are very fragile and would not hold up to, say a burger, but using 2 of them for an egg or tuna salad as was mentioned in the reviews which I have added at the end of the recipe.

I may try them tonight as our snack using a fish cake….anxious to play with the savory versions also.
Well I tested these for a fish cake sandwich and while I don't know if I'll make these again, the sandwich was very, very good. Two things tho and I don't know if this played into it or not, but I toasted one side of each bun, and really scorched mine. Because I only had four I went ahead with it. Must say I didn't even notice the scorch all the flavors were so good.

And, my sandwich held up well entirely, but Roy's fell apart and he had to use a fork for his..... lesson??
Pictures aren't worth much, but they do give an idea about the 'buns' I think I'm talking myself into making another batch."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
That sounds really good, Trixxee.  I have been reminded over the last few days how much more flavor there is in my food without bread wrapped around it, not that I don't miss bread! Wink   I bought some Lavash flax seed tortillas the other day to use for wraps when I just really need to have bread. They are 4 net carbs per wrap.  I made a BLT in one yesterday. Not bad, and it did work.

Dinner tonight is baked ham. For the first time I am trying a slow cooker recipe that is suppose to be spectacular.  We'll see.  It's the usual brown sugar and pineapples over a spiral cut ham, and you cook on low for 4 hours.  I will post the recipe if we think it's wonderful.  Naturally this will mess up my low carb resolution for the day, but will get back on track tomorrow for sure.  I have noticed a difference in how I feel already.

Thanks, Jean, for your notes. I read someone notes from another source yesterday that recommended putting the buns into an airtight container or ziploc after they are cooled. I guess by the next day they are a bit firmer and less likely to crumble.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Thought I'd better add the notes from reviewers to the Cloud Bread to be fair -
"Tips
Will mold if not kept in refrigerator –

Most use 3 T. cream cheese to 3 eggs

I love to make this, I put it in a cookie pan and spread it to the size of the pan then cut into slice bread size.. Love them with tuna and egg salad

The credit for these should be given to Jamie @ http://yourlighterside.com/2009/05/glute...sie-rolls/ I first saw this recipe in 2008. I just think credit should go where it belongs. they are amazing and Jamie has lots of tips for making them amazing.

My savory ones are made with the addition of garlic powder or garlic salt and ground pepper. They are great to use as sandwich bread or when eating dinner and wanting a piece of "bread." Do mix the egg yolk mixture into the whites, not the other way around. It does make a difference"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
What number of carbs per dish are you working towards, Maryann & Trixxee?
www.achefsjourney.com
I don't really have a certain number in mind, but I try to balance the carbs out over the day and the whole week actually.   Trying to make the carbs that I do eat, count.  Another thing we eat a lot of - beans of any kind.  They have a lot of carbs, but the fiber sort of counteracts that.
We were going to have hotdogs, but when we stopped at the store, I stopped to ponder brats and saw a sausage called Irish Garlic.  So we're trying those.  Twice baked potato salad to go with and raw veggies to snack on.  Big Grin
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
We went with an old stand-by, for us: ham, broccoli and scalloped potatoes.

With some of the ham, I've made a batch of my Devilled Ham and, in a day or two, I'll use some of it for a Lentil and Ham Stew that I've made once before.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Labs, how do you make your deviled ham?  Yum.  Smile

Jean, I'm not counting carbs at all. What I'm trying to do is follow some advice my doctor gave me several years ago and it really helped.  That is to give up the white stuff as much as possible.  No bread, potatoes, pasta, sugar, flour, etc. She told me to fill in the gap with more fruits and vegetable and to walk for an hour every day.  When I followed her advice, I lost 20 lbs. but in a moment of weakness, started eating bread and pasta and the diet went out the window.  

I found a recipe today for stuffed cabbage that sounds interesting.  It calls for riced cauliflower instead of white rice.  I might try it, but if we don't care for it, I'll just use brown rice and maybe use a lesser amount.  It's really about cutting back on the carbs.

Thanks for the notes on the cloud bread. Copied and saved!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."