Calling all jelly experts
Question    
Something I'd like to try adding to my product list are my Thumbprint-Style Nutella Cookies with Coffee-Jelly Filling. The thing is, I made those when I was in Honduras with coffee jelly I had purchased in Guatemala and I haven't found any coffee jelly here. 

After looking at the ingredients of the jelly I had used originally, I tried THIS recipe for coffee jelly. Admittedly, since I didn't want to be to wasteful if it didn't turn out, I scaled the recipe to one quarter and made a test batch as a refrigerator jelly (since I don't have full canning equipment). 

The result was delicious, but even though it thickened SOMEwhat, it never did set completely, even after two weeks in the fridge. 

Here, then, are my questions:
  1. Do any of you have a tried-and-true recipe for coffee jelly? 
  2. Should the recipe at the above link work?
  3. Was it my making only 1/4 of the recipe that caused it to fail? 
  4. If the recipe, itself, is just that finicky, how could I tweak the ratios (more/less pectin? more/less sugar? some combination of adjustments?) to make it more reliable? 
  5. The ingredients of the original, purchased jelly also had lemon juice. The above recipe does not. Could a little lemon juice help? If so, how much? 
  6. When jelly doesn't set, is there any way to rescue it by re-cooking it with more pectin and/or sugar? 
Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Calling all jelly experts by labradors (Something I'd like t...)
1. Do any of you have a tried-and-true recipe for coffee jelly?
I do not, but have you thought of posting this over on C2C forum? Especially Janis or even Tom could have some great suggestions for you.
2. Should the recipe at the above link work?

Good question
3. Was it my making only 1/4 of the recipe that caused it to fail?
For Jelly/Jam making, I don’t guess I’ll be much help – I’ve made it for 45 years, but I always go with MCP pectin directions (which I do not have a box in the house to look at right now) – whenever I have deviated over the years, I’ve run into trouble.
4. If the recipe, itself, is just that finicky, how could I tweak the ratios (more/less pectin? more/less sugar? some combination of adjustments?) to make it more reliable?
5. The ingredients of the original, purchased jelly also had lemon juice. The above recipe does not. Could a little lemon juice help? If so, how much?
I have always added a tad of lemon juice to whatever jelly I’m making.
6. When jelly doesn't set, is there any way to rescue it by re-cooking it with more pectin and/or sugar?
The only way I’ve done this (only the opposite) is one time my f-i-l told me his plums had so much natural pectin in them I didn’t need to add any. Well, I thought, what the h---- does he know about this and went ahead and made my regular MCP pectin method. After it had set up, I could barely cut it with a knife!! Had to melt it down add it to an entire new batch of jelly and then it worked.
Wish I could help you, but you know by now I’m not big on getting into the properties of things – it recipes work, great; if they don’t and I think they are worth it, I go by the seat of my pants playing with it. Hopefully, someone is still around to help you out.

P.S. the combination – coffee jelly, Nutella cookie – really sounds tasty!! I may have to order some online from you when you perfect your method.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
The cookies sound delicious!!!  Unfortunately, I have zero experience with jelly.  Sorry!  But good luck! Hopefully, you can make it work, because I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes!!!!  I know I'd buy some! And I don't even eat sweets that often!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I'm sure you did a search..... ? These sound interesting and now you have me wanting to try a batch and play with combining with Kahlua for some kind of a dessert.....................geez, Labs, I don't need another project right now............ Smile

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/214724/coffee-jelly/

http://www.food.com/recipe/coffee-jelly-378957
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Yeah, those recipes are "jelly" as in "gelatin," not as in "jam."

Did find THIS and THIS, which are interesting.

P. S.: I could send some cookies to you as a personal gift, but can't ***** them to you as a sold product since cottage-food law prohibits shipping and also sales outside of the state. Thank you, though.
So, you're looking to make a 'jam' not a 'jelly' - sorry, from the above I assumed..... Smile didn't even look for 'jam' info. Again, good luck.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well, I'd still call it a jelly but, for some people, that means the substance that often tastes like fruit and is served cut up into cubes and topped with Cool Whip. What I wish to make is not that gelatin-based dessert, but the pectin-based substance that one spreads on toast or drops into the middle of thumbprint cookies.
"for some people, that means the substance that often tastes like fruit and is served cut up into cubes and topped with Cool Whip."

Really? I've never heard of that - to me that is how jello is sometimes served. To me jelly is smooth with no pulp and jam is just jelly (or vice versa) made with the pulp of the fruit.
www.achefsjourney.com
Yep. Agreed on the definitions, but I have met people (and seen websites) who use the word "jelly" for "Jell-O." It's especially true if you search the web for coffee jelly, since there are dessert and beverage recipes that use a gelatin-based "coffee jelly" which is more like Jell-O than something spreadable.
I have seen those two words used interchangeably as well, especially in Chinese desserts.

Love the sound of your thumbprint cookies.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."