DINNER THREAD - 5/15/17 - 5/21/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 5/15/17 - 5/21/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
You'll do it, Maryann - we have confidence in you and it is natural to hit plateaus during this process, so take heart.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thanks Jean. I think that I will be successful this time since I feel so much better already. Wink

Just wanted to share something that I make a lot in the warmer weather.  It can be changed up to suit your own taste and of course, is even better when you have some veggies from your own garden, which I don't have.  I used broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, orange bell pepper, grape tomatoes, sliced carrots, a yellow squash and a zuke, and black olives.  

The dressing is one of those "back of the package" recipes from MANY years ago.  It calls for a bottle of your favorite Italian dressing and then you add a package of dry Italian dressing to the bottle.  I know.....the salt police are going to have plenty to say about this, but bear with me.  First of all, this is a lot of veggies to marinate and over the course of the next few days, they will release some water, so you need a "double strength" dressing or it will just taste watered down.  

I put the salad in a plastic container with a tight lid and turn it over a few times during the first 24 hours, then just once a day after that. It keeps very well for about 5 days before it starts looking a bit sad, but it's never around that long anyway.  You can add chick peas or any kind of bean to it for added protein.  I will be sharing this with my girls and we use it for nibbling during the day to ward off cravings for junk food or to start dinner.  It tastes best the day after preparation.

For serving at the table it makes a nice presentation:
[Image: IMG_0856_zpsvpvcyt1r.jpg]

For storage in the fridge and for turning to marinate:
[Image: IMG_0857_zps6pcutihf.jpg]
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Great idea, Maryann!  William would LOVE this, too!  I'll be doing this soon!  And congratulations, Maryann!  With all that's been going on, I think 8 pounds is great!

We are headed to Augusta to spen the night and then make a short trip to Thomson to get oir puppy tomorrow!!!!  I'm so excited!!!!!  We had planned to go to Bone Fish Grill next to our hotel, but we got a late start, so I'm not sure right now.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
That just looks super good, Maryann!!!

Have a fun trip and I've got to exercise my scrolling finger, Daphne, to get by the puppy pictures that are coming our way..... I'm not ready yet!! Smile Smile Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well, I am, and won't be scrolling past any puppy pix, so post away!!! Big Grin
Maryann

So excited for the new puppy!  

That salad looks so good MA.  I am on such a cauliflower kick lately too.  Adding ingredients to my grocery list.  Don't worry about the plateau.  It really is a real thing and I was stuck for a while and then finally lost 2 more pounds.  10 more to go!

We're going out for sushi tonight.  I think I've earned it after the last few days of "college" stuff.  I will lean more toward sashimi though and not too much rice, and some baked mussels.  Mmm.....
As far as the raw veggie salad goes, I think a little sprinkling of feta cheese would be a nice garnish!
YES! It would be great! Any kind of cheese or meats cut into cubes is good too, except for the extra calories.

Saw your dinner on FB. Looked delicious.
Maryann

Like minds, Trixxee!  I plan to add Feta also!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
That's funny - we all seem to be in agreement with the Feta!! What doesn't it make taste better?? Smile
www.achefsjourney.com