White chili with chicken

I love white chili with chicken almost as much as red chili with beef. I usually just make the recipe that Holly gave me, but yesterday, when I was grocery shopping, stumbled across this one. Very easy for a weeknight and sounds really good. We will be having this soon.

http://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/recipe/ea...cken-chili
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: White chili with chicken by Mare749 (I love white chili w...)
Wow, did this post remind me of one of my favorites from way, way back in the C2C days.................. Smile          

* Exported from MasterCook *
                      TURKEY CHILI WITH WHITE BEANS
Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : ENTREE - POULTRY
  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1         tablespoon  vegetable oil
  2             medium  onions -- chopped
  1 1/2      teaspoons  dried oregano
  1 1/2      teaspoons  ground cumin
  1 1/2         pounds  lean ground turkey
     1/4           cup  chili powder
  2                     bay leaves
  1         tablespoon  unsweetened cocoa powder
  1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
     1/4      teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  1                can  whole tomatoes -- (28 ounce)
  3               cups  beef stock or canned beef broth
  1                can  tomato sauce -- (8 ounce)
  3               cans  small white beans -- (15 ounce) rinsed, drained
                        Chopped red onion
                        Chopped fresh cilantro
                        Plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add oregano and cumin; stir 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with back of spoon. Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up with back of spoon. Mix in stock and tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before continuing.)

Ladle chili into bowls. Pass red onion, cilantro and yogurt separately.

chefCJ - Jean, thanks so much for this recipe. They raved about it and I had to pass the recipe onto everyone. I thought it could have had a bit more heat to it - personal preference - but it worked so well as my friend (who is expecting) cannot eat anything too spicy, so it worked very well.
2win - I will make this chili recipe and will submit it for my company's first annual chili cook off this Friday. I will post the result and comments
2win - Hey CJS,
Do you want to know the result? I won! The prize was a grocery gift certificate. Your recipe is really good. Who would have thunk of using cocoa powder, and cinnamon for chili.
I made some changes in the recipe not because I intentionally want to, but by either pure accident, or use what ever is available.
What I changed were:
-seasoned white beans because the store do not have plain white beans.
-added 1 cup of chicken broth because I have some left and don't want it go bad.
-add in 1 green pepper 'cause it was sitting there and was very lonely and I thought, what the hey.. so I cut it up and tossed it in.
-1/3 C. of chili powder instead of 1/4 C 'cause I couldn't find my quarter measuring cup and don't want to use any other bigger cup and 1/3 c. was available. What the hey..the more the merrier. 
-additional salt.
I didn't eat any of it last night because it was getting late,and knew it was good from the little taste here and there. But, after the judging and I had a bowl, boy, was it good..delicious. EVERYONE was raving about it.
Thanks for the recipe.
Cj - 2win, congratulations!! That's just great. I'm adding your 'what the hey' ideas to the original.
I get so bored making the same chili all the time, but this is one that I've come back to often and it would be easily adapted to a slow cooker, I would think.
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Copied and saved! This one sounds even better! Thanks!
Maryann

Both sound delicious.  Thanks ladies!
Think I'll make some, too! Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Well, I have to say that I was underwhelmed with this recipe. It required a lot of doctoring up. I wouldn't use it again. Next time it will be Jean's recipe, although I might make it with ground chicken instead of ground turkey, just because I really like chicken in this.
Maryann

I'm guessing I've probably always used chicken also, Maryann, as that's what I normally have and/or grind up chicken I have on hand.
www.achefsjourney.com
This is a recipe I've made many times.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...cken-chili
Thanks! This sounds good too! Copied and saved.
Maryann