DINNER THREAD, 7/3/17 - 7/9/17
  Re: DINNER THREAD, 7/3/17 - 7/9/17 by cjs ([b][u][size=medium]M...)
I need to get some fish patties made up and in the freezer - I sure like them for a quick later snack sandwich.

Maryann, is the cake recipe anywhere around?? Or is just cherry pie filling added to a cake batter??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I had an abundance of cherries that were not very sweet, so made pie filling first and let cool.

Semi-Homemade Cherry Cake

1 package (15.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
oil and eggs as called for on cake mix package
1/2 cup water
1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
powdered sugar, sifted, optional
whipped topping or whipped cream, optional

1. Heat the oven to 350 F.

2. Grease and flour a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan or spray it with baking spray with flour.

3. In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, prepare the cake mix according to package directions, using oil or melted butter and eggs, but add only 1/2 cup of water.

4. Spread the batter into a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Spoon cherry pie filling evenly over the batter, then swirl into the batter just enough to give a marbled effect.

5. Bake the cake in the preheated 350 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cake bounces back when lightly touched with a finger.

6. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar or serve with ice cream or whipped topping.

7. TIPS AND VARIATIONS

8. Replace the cherry pie filling with blueberry pie filling.

9. Use apple or peach pie filling but chop the fruit coarsely before spooning it over the batter. Bake as directed.

10. Use a butter pecan, white cake, cherry chip, French vanilla, or a similar cake mix in the recipe.

11. For black forest flavor, make the cake with a chocolate or fudge cake mix.

12. Sprinkle about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped pecans over the pie filling before swirling it into the batter.

Author: Diana Rattray

Maryann's notes: Added 1 tsp. almond extract to the cake mix for added flavor. Used glass baking pan and sprayed with Pam.
----------------------------------------------------------

Cherry Pie Filling

4 cups pitted tart red cherries
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

1. Place cherries into a saucepan over medium heat, and cover the pan; heat cherries until they release their juice and come to a simmer, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir often.

2. In a bowl, whisk the sugar with cornstarch until smooth; pour the mixture into the hot cherries and juice, and thoroughly combine. Return to low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook until the filling has thickened, about 2 minutes; remove from heat, let cool, and use as pie filling.

Source: 2017 Allrecipes.com
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Gee, that sounds good! Smile Thanks for posting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Sunday Dinner, 7/9/17??

What's on the menu today?? 

Going thru old recipes, I found one, 'Quick-Roasted Chicken with Mustard & Garlic,' a Jacques Pepin recipe I had made for Roy's B'day in 2013. I'll be using game hens. Acorn Squash and fruit
www.achefsjourney.com
Everything sounds good - the cake, the fish burgers (saw them at Costco last time, need to add to my list), the game hens.

For lunch we are having Costco's tilapia "loins", grilled.  They are a little thicker than what you normally find at the grocery store, along with steamed broccoli and/or a melon medley.

For dinner, grilled hamburger patties topped with a mushroom sauce and corn on the cob.  The corn has been so good this year.
We are having friends over for "small plates" this afternoon.  I have no idea what all I'm going to do - but I do know we're going to have "pig wings" with coconut curry dipping sauce, radish salad (spiralized daikon and cucumber), I'm contemplating a cheese flatbread in the pizza oven.  Falafal?
Rolleyes
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Burp! Tongue Tongue

Jean's amazing herb & cheese oysters

Pig wings with coconut curry or honey mustard dipping sauce
Beef "carpaccio" with horseradish sauce
falafel with tzaziki 
Asian 2 radish salad
Zucchini noodle salad with fresh herb & 2 cheese dressing
Cheesy herb flatbread
Raspberry Claflouti (sous vide)

Burp!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Geez, Sharon! Are you going to feed me like that when I come out to visit?

Weird eating day here. We had a substantial brunch this morning to hold us over through the afternoon. We had to pick up my cousin from the airport at 11:30 because she flew in from VA to have surgery here at the Cleveland Clinic. Well, the poor thing couldn't eat so we took her out sightseeing to pass the afternoon. When we got back, we took turns keeping her busy while the other one went outside with a sandwich and pasta salad so that she wouldn't have to watch us eat. She is expecting to be in the hospital for a week, then recovering for another week before returning to VA.

So, I'm going to be a bit busy for the next two weeks but will be stopping in as I can. Interesting thing I found out today. She is only 30 min. down the road from Lorraine!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
So, you'll have a whole week to reconnect with your cousin - that'll be fun for you. Lorraine.......hmmmmm, that name does sound familiar. Tongue Smile

Sharon, what a fun food get together you had!! Smile
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: DINNER THREAD, 7/3/17 - 7/9/17 by Mare749 (Geez, Sharon! Are y...)
Of course Maryann!
Enjoy the time with your cousin, and best wishes on her surgery!