DINNER THREAD - 11/6-11-12
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 11/6-11-12 by Trixxee (What's on the menu f...)
Well....how is it, Daphne? Big Grin
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Tonight I think we're having a new recipe I found on my friend Joanna's pinterest page.  It's called Indian Butter Chicken.  Finally took the plunge and bought some Garam Masala for the spice cupboard and this calls for it.  Green beans on the side.

This is if we even eat a real dinner at all.  We had a late lunch - a paleo bowl from Wahoo's and I may be stuffed for the duration.  Wink
I will be anxious to hear how you like the butter chicken when you do make it, T. It's been on my to-do list for a while now.

Chicken here also. We were out shopping and I don't feel like cooking tonight, so I'm doing a quick and easy soy sauce chicken drumsticks and rice in the Instant Pot. Only takes a few minutes to make the sauce and 8 min. in the pot.
Maryann

We got the "chicken memo" too.    Braised chicken thighs with lemon, artichokes, and olives.  Penne pasta on the side.  

Jeff is going to help us move to Oregon.  All he asks is that I make Butter Chicken for him when we get there.  Of course, no problem darlin'!  It's one of our favorites and it was another of those WOW moments of discovering another flavor profile he loves.  It is the top of the list of comfort foods for us.  Try it Maryann.

I am so weird, I use all the seasonings it calls for and then toss in an equal amount of Penzey's Maharajah Curry Powder.  We always forget to put the Garam Masala on at the end . . .  old people!

Here is the recipe we use.

Butter Chicken

Ingredients
4 ounces butter
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 large boneless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup fresh cream
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon garam masala

Directions
Saute onion and garlic in butter.
Slice chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
Combine spices and salt and toss chicken pieces until well coated.
Saute the chicken on each side until golden brown.
Stir in the cream and tomato paste.
Cover pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until cooked through.
Sprinkle with garam masala. (optional – I have never yet managed to remember)  

*I do all the spices and then add a teaspoon of Curry powder too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Butter Chicken is delicious and not as much butter as you might think (although the recipes do vary).

Don't forget to check the source of the recipe, since Indian recipes that call for "chili powder" often refer to a powdered chile pepper (e. g. cayenne) as opposed to the mixture that American supermarkets sell for making pots of "Chili."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
So, is it meant to be spicy/hot? The reason I ask is because I have three types of chili powder.
Maryann

Maryann  I use half cayenne and half ancho (depending on the heat level we want).  Sometimes I go full blown cayenne!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Yes. Cayenne or a mix of cayenne with another - just not "Mexican" "chili powder." I've even heard of adding a little guajillo to cayenne. Of course, anything additional will change the taste, but that's up to you.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Thanks!
Maryann