Split Pea Soup
  Re: (...)
Tammy and I were discussing it and that gave me an idea.
Would you all care to post your split pea soup recipes and most importantly..... the tricks you use to get those darn peas to soften up!!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Split Pea Soup by farnfam (Tammy and I were dis...)
Here's mine!

Split Pea Soup

4 slices thick-cut smoked bacon
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3 cloves, garlic, crushed
1 stalk celery
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3 bay leaves
2½ quarts low-sodium canned chicken stock or 1½ quarts regular canned stock plus 1 cup water
1 smoked ham hock (about 1 pound) or bone from a cooked ham with some meat still attached
1 lb (2 cups)dried split peas, rinsed and picked over
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 Cook the bacon in 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven and drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat, then add the olive oil and butter. Over medium-heat, cook until foam subsides. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes, until onions are dark brown and have caramelized.
2 Add the next 3 ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes of until carrots have softened. Add the remaining ingredients, except the salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for about 1 ½ hours, until peas fall apart and soup is thick.
3 Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove the ham bones; trim off any meat, chop coarsely, and return meat to the pot, discarding the bones. Whisk soup until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. (The ham is salty and therefore it is unlikely you will need to add salt.) Crumble bacon and sprinkle on individual servings.

Recipe Source
Author: Christopher Kimball

Source: The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook

NOTE: This always take longer than 1 1/2 hours to get the peas soft. I cook it for at least 3...the longer the better.

PS My not-so little dog, Jack, hurt his paw the day I made this, so I gave the bone to comfort him and keep him still. It kept him busy and happy for a good long time.

PSS Oh, and the only reason I bought The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook was because it has the best fried chicken recipe I have ever had. I got it free off the internet many years ago and then one day I lost it! I needed it for dinner so I went out and bought the whole book for the one recipe...and I'm so glad I did.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by TwilightKitten (Here's mine! [br][br...)
My Mother ( French Canadian, eh!!) always soaks the peas overnight, then proceeds with the recipe. She doesn't add salt until near the end of cooking. Strange, she does add salted herbs. I'll see if I can dig up her recipe, or at least a close facsimile.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by Lorraine (My Mother ( French C...)
This isn't mine, but it's the only one I have...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Split Pea Soup

Recipe By :John Magee
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Soups-Stocks-Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 medium ham bones or hock
1 pound pork sausage
3 cups split peas -- yellow or green
6 cups water
1 large onion -- diced
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon savory
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk or cream
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
grated cheddar cheese -- if desired

Place all ingredients except cream, flour, butter and cheese, in crock pot. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low. Remove ham bone and sausage, dicing the meat. Put soup through a sieve, strainer or foodmill and return to the crock along with the meat. Turn heat to high, add milk or cream. Combine flour and butter; stir in to thicken. Serve garnished with grated cheese.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I've never used a recipe, so can't give qtys., but Tammy's looks like how I do mine and same ingred. I cook mine about 3 hours also, can't stand watery pea soup.

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Killer Split Pea Soup With Ham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the best split pea soup I've had. I never even liked it that much before I found this recipe in one of my Silver Palate Cookbooks. I’ve made it without the tarragon, spinach or sherry and it’s still wonderful. If you're a fan of split pea soup, you should try this!

Split Pea Soup With Ham
(Serves 6)

1 pound dried green split peas
5 cups chicken stock (preferably low sodium)
4 cups water
1 meaty ham bone or smoked ham shank (see *Note below)
2 ribs celery, leaves included, diced
3 T. chopped fresh Italian parsley
½ tsp. crumbled dried tarragon leaves
4 T. butter
1 cup diced peeled carrots
1 cup diced onion
1 leek (white part only), rinsed and sliced
1 cup slivered fresh spinach leaves
2 T. dry sherry
½ tsp. pepper

Rinse peas in a strainer and then combine them with the stock and water in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil.

Add the ham bone, celery, 1 T. of parsley and tarragon. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add carrots, onion and leek. Cook until veggies are wilted, about 10 minutes. Add them to the soup pot, along with the spinach. Simmer, partially covered, about 45 minutes.

Remove soup from heat. Remove ham bone and shred meat from bone, removing any excess fat. Return meat to the soup.

Add sherry, pepper, and remaining 2 T. parsley. Taste for seasoning; salt is usually not needed due to the salt in the ham. Heat through and serve immediately.

*Note: I usually make this with a meaty smoked ham shank that's about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs. At my market they cut the shanks into 3 pieces. Their flavor is soooooo good!

This is from another forum and I tried it---really awesome but there is another one that is great that I will post as well

"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by cjs (I've never used a re...)
AND #2

Parker's split pea soup

BAREFOOT CONTESSA

2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 TBS minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 TBS kosher salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 cups medium diced carrots
2 cups medium diced boiling potatoes (red boiling suggested in recipe)
2 pounds dried split green peas
16 cups chicken stock or water

In an 8 qt stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper until the onions are translucent, 10-15 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, 1 1/2 pounds of split peas and the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Skim off the foam while cooking. Add the remaining split peas and continue to simmer for another 40 minutes, or until all the peas are soft. Stir frequently to keep the solids from burning on the bottom. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve hot.

10-12 servings

I added a ham shank and chopped the meat to add to the finished product. Also added a garlic crouton on top when serving. Excellent if you like pea soup!!! Timing was spot on, too!!!

I LOVE PEA SOUP!!!! with a grilled cheese sandwich-YUMMM
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy